1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what do you pay for tires???

Discussion in 'General' started by sublime4mylife, Jun 10, 2008.

1. sublime4mylife

sublime4mylife Well-Known Member

This is a question that has always been in the back of my head and I'm sure that not everyone (the fastest guys) can really answer this question....but I would like to know neverless. Can you please tell me what you guys are paying for your tires so that i know if I'm getting screwed or not. I'm looking at all tire manufacturers, just trying to get a ballpark. I pay 440 a set for the new dunlop 211's 190 rear. Also, does anyone know where to get a better deal, because dunlops are so expensive they are about to break me from racing all together. I know that Pirelli's are cheaper (quoted 400 a set for the new supracorsa's 190 rear).

Thanks for your help,

Randy Smith

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Cash usually.

3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

but always too much!

4. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

I get mine from STG (Michelins) I think they are $370 plus tax since I live in Michigan. Not cheap but what are you going to do?? Everyone needs tires

5. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

some racers get different pricing, depending on skill level and quantity of tires you purchase. faster guys that rep the tires well will likely pay less than an average novice or expert.

6. Jamesm925

Jamesm925 Well-Known Member

randy smith from wsmc, right?
    r1 ?

if you're who i think you are, you're fast enough to start asking for sponsors.
    didn't you pull a 1:26 your first novice race @ big willow?

talk to the guys at dunlop and see what they can do for you. it's worth a try.

7. Keep Up

Keep Up N 142

I get mine from sportbike track gear also, or the track vendor if I get in a bind.

I am thinking about trying some bridgestones, only because I hear they are pretty good tires that last, and very affordable.

I think stickboy (i could be wrong) allows you to get a group together to do a 10 set buy (as long as one person pays) and you can get a set of 180's/120, for somewhere around 265ish i think, ask around and don't quote me on that.

8. sublime4mylife

TIRES

Don't you guys think that the prices are retarded though???? I truly cannot believe how much they go for...

9. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Nope. Not at the price I get them. I could tell you but then I probably would not get that price anymore.

10. vasiliy

vasiliy Squid Enthusiast

yeh, we get tossed by the same sport we try to support... sigh

11. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Even the regular price Stick sells the 'Stones at is a bargain...pretty sure they're the least expensive tires in the paddock, and they kick maximum ass.

12. sublime4mylife

I've ridden the bridgestones and really like them...anyone have any feedback on the bt-003's, hopefully they don't wear as fast as the 002's

13. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

+1 although sometimes I whip out the CC.

14. sublime4mylife

I'm probably at the worst possible track in the world for tires also (willow springs) where I go through a set in two races if I'm lucky.

15. Venom51

I was kinda of a joke Dave. Best bang for the buck in the paddock tire wise.

16. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

No no, you're still a joke, don't worry.

:D

(I know, kinda weak, but it was right there...)

17. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

the best advice i can give you is to pick a brand, and try and develop a relationship with your vendor, and it'll pay off more in the long run. switching brands every other year won't help you with pricing unless you're winning the majority of the time. of course, if you get support, your vendor wants to see results and see you promoting their product as well.

i've been with pirelli for 8 consecutive years, with support from trackside racer supply. they by far are the best sponsor i have, and take care of me better than anyone. loyalty goes a long way in my opinion.

18. Venom51

Well said.......

19. 95speed

95speed aka Felix el gato

+1

$ 400 ( 190 set Supercorsas) is what I spit out here @tracks in SoCal.

Cash.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  20. sublime4mylife

That seems to be what I was thinking also, it's just so hard to decide.....I know that loyalty is huge with racing, and if you stay with a certain company they are more and more likely to hook you up down the road. There is a catch 22 in there though, you can buy the cheapest tires out there (which aren't horrible) and if you start turning really fast lap times you might not be competitive. But if you go with the most expensive tires (which only the fastest of the fast will see a difference) you might not be able to keep up with the fastest guys in due time.....That's my dilema, along with paying a shitload for tires....