How do riders get paid?

Discussion in 'General' started by vlwebdesigns, Jan 22, 2001.

1. vlwebdesigns

vlwebdesigns Well-Known Member

I have been wanting to know how riders get paid for riding for teams. I hope JU and Chuck Warren can answer this, as well as Junge could since they all run teams. Are riders paid a base salary with incentives for winning or placement, plus championships? Do they get the winnings from an org like F-USA or do they get a partial sum and the team/owner gets some of it. Always wanted to know how things worked. I'm curious to know what the pro's make for in-pocket take home money (dollar figure), but it's not an issue that should be in an open forum like the BBS.

2. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

I'm still waiting for my check. Something about the team owner always being on the BBS. [​IMG]

3. julrich

julrich Well-Known Member

That's not a simple deal, depends upon the guy, the team, the deal. I'll get back to you when I have more time to explain it; deadline beckons.

4. NewRacer

NewRacer Tina! Come get some ham!

cant wait for the next issue, so get back to it.. [​IMG] .but I know how addicting it is here, beware....

I dont post much but read it EVERY day (almost all day long, hitting the refresh key). Sometimes I think that I know these people better than I do my own friends.

I cant wait to meet everyone this year. Will I be disappointed or is everyone just as funnny/annoying in person?

5. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

Tom (WERA122) is even more annoying in person...

6. vlwebdesigns

Another question on my mind... JU, do you own the Emgo Valvoline team that has Spies, Lopez, and Hopkins on it? Do you run this team also, i.e. crew chief, etc.? Just wondering how you find the time to post here, edit RRW each month, plus race here and there.

7. NewRacer

Did Grant actually get all that money he won last year in F-USA?

Does anyone know?

8. cb500

cb500 long hair hippie freak

you got that right [​IMG]

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't know the specific businesses that own what but effectively JU owns RRW & Team Hammer - Team Hammer owns the other teams but it all comes back to John being the final decision maker.

He's one seriously busy dude... especially around deadline time (most people don't call him that week - it's just easier on everyone [​IMG] )

10. julrich

Team Hammer, Inc. races as Team Valvoline EMGO Suzuki and used to race as Team Suzuki Endurance. It was originally founded as a partnership in 1980 and was incorporated in 1986 when I bought out my original partner. The corporation is owned by John Ulrich and Trudy Ulrich. Sponsorship contracts specifically state that sponsorship deals have no connection to and get team sponsors no special consideration in editorial materials generated, edited or published by John Ulrich in his unrelated job as editor of Roadracing World (and used to list the same thing with a different publication name prior to Roadracing World being established). Day-to-day team operations are handled by Keith Perry of Perry Racing Service at the team's race shop in Athens, Alabama. Details on team personnel are posted on www.teamhammer.com. Team business operations are headquartered in Lake Elsinore, California.

Roadracing World Publishing Inc. was founded in 1990 and publishes Roadracing World & Motorcycle Technology. It is owned by John Ulrich and Trudy Ulrich, and operates out of offices in Lake Elsinore, California. Its website is www.roadracingworld.com

I try to keep them separate and sometimes get frustrated when I get magazine and team questions all mixed up together.

As for time, yeah, it's a lot to do but somebody has to do it, so all I do is work and sometimes (not enough) race. If I didn't get to race once in awhile I'd probably be an ax murderer.

I think details of Grant's business arrangements are his business. Each rider and team has to figure out a mutually acceptable arrangement.

11. julrich

But generally speaking, I will say that I am a big fan of incentive programs, and if I was doing an endurance team and was inclined to pay riders I would pay them a bare minimum on a per-race basis and then double or triple it (or more) if the desired results are achieved. If you do the same thing with paid crew members, you get the entire team really working hard together for the entire team's success, vs. individual glory (as in, fastest lap of the race, followed by time lost to a burnt-up tire or crashed bike). Hope this helps. If it doesn't, send a specific question to me via e-mail and I will reply when I get time.

12. NewRacer

Yes you are right..That is their(your) business. I intended no offense to you, your businesses or Grant. I did not actually know that you owned the team. I was just being nosey and asked the wrong question at the wrong time.

Brandon
    (Leather soles taste terrible)
    "Sometimes being new and trying to pad your posts has it's consequences" [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by NewRacer (edited 01-22-2001).]

13. julrich

Don't worry about it. No offense taken.

14. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

Totally beliveable! [​IMG]

15. TSR

TSR Well-Known Member

If you ever fly to Alabama to interview yourself, that will probably be a good indication that it's time for a long vacation. [​IMG]

Just slip into this white coat Mr. Ulrich...

16. vlwebdesigns

I agree on the details of his business are a private matter. One last question for this topic though. Is it fair to assume that each rider pays a percentage of their winnings (F-USA/Suzuki Cup) to the "team" to be used for team expenditures, i.e. bike prep, tires, fuel, wages, etc.?

JU, if CU is slowly starting to race the four stroke machines, have you ever thought about CU as a Team Hammer rider?

17. julrich

It depends upon the rider, the team, the deal, and, in some cases, the year.

And yes, I have thought about it. It seems like I've been moving everybody else's kids up the career ladder but not my own. Maybe 2002. We'll see how 2001 goes and what else comes up.

18. vlwebdesigns

Hopefully you'll be out to watch CU in 2001. I'd like to say hi if I can find you at a track. I would guess that Portland would be a good guess to see you there since it is on your side of the country.

19. wera122

wera122 Guest

Just for that I'll make sure I get to Pocono 5 times this year and pit right next to you!

And just for that you're not allowed to pit next to me this year. And your food supply is cut off too beotch! [​IMG]

20. Vetrider

Vetrider Active Member

Seems to me, this is what Joe Gibbs (The former Football coach [​IMG] )does with his race teams. Pit crews beat a specific time they get paid extra and if they fall below the same time goal, they pay Joe the same amount back.
    Success just takes GOOD Properly Motovated people and equipment.