1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My country has 58 states.

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by brex, May 13, 2008.

1. Advanced Kawi

Advanced Kawi Well-Known Member

The official Japanese terminology (well, at least with Kawi) is "Swinging Arm"

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

If it was W that said it he would take a 5 day beating in the Dungeon for being stupid.

3. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

No. If one thing was settled in the Dungeon it was that W's elevetor doesn't quite reach the top floor. This was settled loooong ago...

4. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

It still wouldn't matter...hell, half the Dungeon patricipants still think he's running in the 2008 election.

5. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Oh no, his elevator goes all the way to the top, it's just that he doesn't know what to do when it gets there. :up:

6. WERA522

WERA522 Lost

Well your taxes just went up 20%. I don't see what the big deal is.. :) If the leader of the United STATES doesn't even know how many states there are....

7. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

That's because it would be example number 17,822 of W being W. In this case, it's an eloquent, obviously very intelligent person who mis-spoke.

This has nothing to do w. his candidacy or whatever...just answering the question.

8. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Ya that's pretty lame, although I really think some folks make a bigger deal out of that type of thing than is really needed. I obviously don't know the guy, and it is certainly possible that he is a huge sexist, but I'm just saying that using a word like 'sweetie' informally doesn't automatically make it so.

I have a habit of calling males that I talk to 'brother' but I don't have a companion term for women when I talk to them. Every once in a while i say this to a guy I don't know very well, and he bristles at it. I've had a few "I'm not your brother" responses, like "you don't know me well enough to call me that." Now anyone who knows me knows for a fact that I don't mean any disrespect by it in any way.

One of the arguments you'd here from people offended by the 'sweetie' thing is that he wouldn't do that to a man. Well, I have this mannerism with guys and don't for women, but it doesn't mean that I care less about interacting with women or whatever...it's just a habit. My guess is that Obama had a women or some women around him when he was a younger age who responded favorably to 'sweetie' and it became a habit.

Or he's a huge sexist pig.

9. xsr71x

xsr71x Old Member

I like it when the girl at the checkout calls me sweetie. :up:

10. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

Being overly familar is annoying but it isn't sexist.

You're aware this is precisely what all the racists are saying?

11. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

But does it means that it is untrue?

12. Robert

You're not suggesting just being black is all it takes to become the Democratic presidential candidate? :D

13. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

No. I am not saying that.

I am still waiting your response!:Poke:

I thought you were discreting the premise just because racist were saying/using it.

14. Robert

No. Saying someone has an unfair advantage because he/she belongs to a minority group is extremely pathetic. People vote out of self-interest so obviously being black (or female) is a huge disadvantage.

Bob Kerrey, former governor and senator from Nebraska in yesterday's Times:

Next up: Bill's rebuttal. There will be blood (and probably froth and spittle!) :D