brakes holding front tire spin

Discussion in 'Tech' started by prb110, May 19, 2008.

1. User Error

User Error Issue caused by the User!

Do what i told you with the light pumping after totally pushing in the calipers... the reason for this is if you don't extend them back out slowly they push the right side faster and make the calipers uneven which causes the right caliper to drag... this is direct from a head AMA mechanic... oh and for the record he uses brake cleaner on the calipers and has no issues... it's just 1000% easier than anything else in the paddox... they don't have time to scrub anything... spray it on and let it dry and reinstall...

2. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I will just add that I found a stiff toothbrush and the soap and water solution cleaned all of the gunk off of my caliper pistons without a problem. Since that is less agressive than the brass brush and brake cleaner I tend to think its better.

3. User Error

User Error Issue caused by the User!

I'll agree with that... more elbow grease less chemicals softer brush is always better if the time is available to do it...

4. prb110

prb110 Well-Known Member

thanks all

i'm into it now. the calipers are filthy. I had a shop put in the brakes when other work was done. can't believe they didn't clean the pistons. brake fluid is just below full, so i will take some out. think that the just need cleaned though. since i have the time, looks like soap and water and toothbrush unless it's beyond that. then i might use the brakeclean, but only if i need it.
    now, who wants to make a house call to dial in ohlins tripple and k-tech 20mm? cant find anyone that wants to mess with k-tech. i should be able to get a baseline somewhere for a 135lb guy. geometry sucks too. not to mention the clutch doesn't pull in far enough. it wants to go when you shift into 1st gear with clutch in. 2006 gsxr600. i'll be happy to get to 3 races this year. just a bunch of little things all at once. i learn more here than high school. 1 more year! thanks