SV650 Lightweight Flywheel?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by CuStOm, May 13, 2008.

1. 6cuda6

6cuda6 Well-Known Member

Cool...learnt something new, excellent :beer:

2. CuStOm

CuStOm OMRRA Racer

I'll show my ignorance here. There are two "thingies" behind the flywheel. One is the starter gear, what is the other and in what order are they in?

3. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

big gear is one thing and starter clutch itself another.starter clutch is bolted to flywheel.this piece is heavy but smaller diameter than old gen one.on old gen I used to machine diameter down.
    there is not really much you can machine on either flywheel or clutch on new gen.I have lathe and am not doing it on our own bikes,not worth it without taking magnets out.
    flywheel itself is pressed together from 2 pieces,you have to watch drilling holes in back side.I have seen some drilled one separate.
    some people also take every second magnet out.

4. Longhair

Longhair Old Foole

On the '05 and newer SV1000's the flywheel is almost exactly 3lbs lighter than the '03-04 motors. I don't know if the 650's underwent the same change or not. If they did, then the easiest answer may be to just get a newer flywheel.
    Any 650 gurus know for sure?

5. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

In 2006 the part number for the rotor was revved for the SV650. So its possible that happened for the '06 and newer SV650's.

6. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

The BDK's work great but $$$$$$$$$$$$$... the one you saw Tristan was for my 675. +4hp.

7. CuStOm

CuStOm OMRRA Racer

Here are some pictures of the lightened flywheel from Spears. This is not the total loss one. This one weighs just under 4lbs as it sits bolted to the starter clutch. I will weigh the stock one when I get it out, so no reference yet.

You can see that the starter clutch has been lightened as well as the rotor. I do not have measurements of the stock one yet so I am not sure how much it as been shortened.

http://picasaweb.google.com/kereams/SVFlywheel02

So talk to me about removing half the magnets. What will this do to the charging ability? Is it worth attempting?

8. TWF2

did you weight it with bolts?I don't see bolts on picture.
    and starter clutch is stock,untouched,as far you can see on picture.
    it looks like only outside diameter is been machined on each side of pickups.
    stock one with bolts weights 4.5 pounds.

Attached Files:

9. CuStOm

CuStOm OMRRA Racer

Yes the bolts are included in that weight.

Mmm..I am not seeing a huge difference here. I was told that the clutch was lightened. I thought I remembered the clutch being a larger diameter, almost the size of the rotor. Is it possible that there is material removed between the clutch and rotor on the mating surface? I guess I'll separate them and check.

Have you ever removed 3 of the magnets?

Thanks for your time. :beer:

10. TWF2

old gen sv's had bigger diameter clutch,like I said above.
    no,I did not remove 3 magnets.when I had total loss I had all magnets out and rotor machined to bare minimum.
    than I got old and pushing starter button and have reliable battery became necessity :)

11. kayaker43

kayaker43 Active Member

There's still a lot of meat in that starter clutch but weight around the perimeter is the most important. I'm also curious how much difference fewer magnets would make in charging output?

Does anyone know the weight difference between gen 1 and 2 flywheels and starter clutch assemblies? Is the Gen 2 starter clutch smaller but the flywheels the same.