1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RS125 Questions

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by 748m0n0, Sep 19, 2002.

1. 748m0n0

748m0n0 bla bla bla

I am looking to purchase a Honda RS125. What kind of maintainance do these kinds of bikes need. I have heard that they need new rings every weekend. I have also heard that sometimes the rear just locks up due to the engine seazing. Is this true? How hard is it to find parts for a 1995 RS125? Thanks

2. GlennET

GlennET Active Member

I just made an offer on my first race bike today. A 95 RS125. I have been researching these bikes for the past 5 months and have learned quite a bit about them. I have yet to race or ride one (hope to be doing that in the next few weeks). 125's do require more maintenance. Particularly, they require a top-end replacement every 300 miles or so + other regular maintenance. They are not like a 600+ racer in most respects. They can seize (which scared the hell out me when I first got interested in them) but from what I understand with proper maintenance and jetting, seizing is rare. Lots of good new/used parts out there particularly if you stick to a 95+. Check out www.fatbaq.com, lots of great info. I'm certainly no expert on these bikes but I think I know enough to get me in trouble. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Later
    Glenn

3. 748m0n0

748m0n0 bla bla bla

When you say top end replacement. What exactly is that. Any help is apriciated. I am looking at a 95'.
    Thanks

4. GlennET

GlennET Active Member

5. d_alexand

d_alexand Well-Known Member

re:

Are the parts still available for the older '91-94 RS125's?

6. GlennET

GlennET Active Member

I have not been in the position of needing parts for either bike, but parts for the older bikes are available through HRC and other companies. A number of the parts from the 95+ fit the older bikes. After speaking to a number of racers parts for the older bikes may dry up soon and some parts are getting harder to find. Remember if you’re at a race and you need a part/spare more than likely so does someone else.
    I considered an older bike at first, but after talking to many racers the 95+ seemed a better way to go. The 95-02 are pretty much the same and use the same parts. You can expect parts to be around for a while. 95+ have better/newer technology and are a bit faster than the older bikes. These are some of the things I have learned up to this point. My apologies to all the experts out there if I am misinformed (your input would be appreciated in this) I'd be happy to talk you any of you guys about it. Call if you like (817) 528-5035.

Later
    G

7. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member

I hear the pre 95 parts are drying up. The 95 stuff is plentiful. Also, the 95 chassis is a lot better for a bigger guy like me. Those pre 95s are TINY. The older ones had mechanical issues like cracking pipes and such, too that got cured with the '95.

My RS is a '95 and it's a blast to ride. If I ride it well, I can compete with newer bikes with like talent on them. Just had my motor done, had to put a cylinder on it. Guy that had it before me apparently went nuts with a die grinder in the exhaust port divider area and screwed it all up. You have to take that into account if you're buying a used one, some idiot might have decided he was a friggin GP tuner. I let Billy Wiese have it for the rebuild cause I knew it was a little down on power, now I know why. I can replace stuff, but I let a guy look at it that knew what the hell he was looking at and set it up right. That set me back a few bills, but it was worth it. New cylinder cost me $600. They last the life of the bike, pretty much, if you don't go screwing them up with a dremel tool or tearing chrome with seizures. They can be rechromed, too, if that happens.

The routine maintenance stuff is the piston, ring, wrist pin, wrist pin bearing and circlips for the top end. The reeds have a tendency to fail and should be replaced a few times a season, cheap. The crank lasts 1300 miles. Keep good records on your mileage cause unlike Yamaha, there are no run out limits in the manual. You go solely on mileage for knowing when things need replacing. I usually put about 100 miles on the bike per race weekend, so a top end will go three weekends, not that bad though I'd get 600 miles out of all but the rings on my Yamaha TZ.

8. 748m0n0

748m0n0 bla bla bla

Thanks for all of the info! Are they hard to work on? Changing the piston rings on my Ducati would be a nightmare. Assuming you have time and tools are the OK to work on?
    thanks

9. Madmike

Madmike Drunk Member

I have a 94 and a 89 w/91-92 updates.
    I can pull the top end at the track in about 15mins. In my garage i can strip it down to nothing in under and hour. Way easy to learn and play with. But like anything, give it time, Read your manual ang get familiar with your parts book....YOU WILL need it and use it all the time. There is always help available and parts if you look in the right places...
    Fatbaq is great for links and info. Use sites to find more sites and before you know it you will have a Favorites list a mile long on your computer. Good luck and Welcome to the sport of 2-STROKE racing.

10. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member

Yup, easiest motor on the planet to get around on. I reinstalled my motor at the track the other day in less than an hour. Top end is what, five head nuts and four base nuts? Pull the pipe and yank the cylinder off. That simple. Bet I can replace a crank on the thing before you can get those damned desmos adjusted on that diesel. Valves are an un-necessary complication.

11. 748m0n0

748m0n0 bla bla bla

How hard is it to get parts for the 1993 RS125. the 1995 I am looking at is $2600 but the 93 I am looking at is only $1500.

12. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member

I'll let someone with an earlier model address this one. I've heard the complaints, but haven't paid attention. You can check with http://www.rscycles.com on parts availability, too. Heck, I'd give 'em a call and query them about it. $2600 seems a good deal on a 95. I gave 3200 for mine a year ago with some spares and a manual.

13. Madmike

Madmike Drunk Member

Old guy stepping up.

With that said, Here goes.

Both prices are pretty good. RS 93' in good shape with any decent spares for that price is good. A 95' for that price is really good, as long as both bikes are in decent shape with some spares. Right off the bat you want to know Crank mileage and top end time. That is for both bikes.

The 93 will have some other things to really pay attention to.
    Watch for the motor mounts and bushings. If these are going bad or are really old this will cause mad vibration and will cause Joint chambers ( header) and expansion chambers to rock, vibrate, and eventually crack. This is one of the main problems with pre 94' bikes. I have gone through 2 headers and 1 chamber in a season before i really figured out what was going on.

For both bikes ask a lot of questions regarding time on track, jetting, and whats been replaced and what has not. Most guys keep logs and know what they have and have not fixed.

Try to get a bike with Jetting, Gearing, and at least a few of the main crash spares ( pegs, bars, levers) .
    This will help in the begining and allow you to start right away with track days or racing.
    Most tracks will require a gear change or two and also some jetting changes. having the stuff in the begining is better than having to buy it all before you head off for your first day on the new machine. Jetting is probably the most important thing on a 2-stroke and its key to try and get it right. Ask questions and get the info form guys at the track. Never hurts to ask.
    In time you will collect and buy a bunch of spares and will have a better idea of what you change all the time and what you fix once in a while.

Last tip:
    GET A MANUAL and PARTS BOOK>
    Very key, As i said before these are everything and you should read them like a book. i have read through both a few times and it does help.

Parts help.
    I have had no problems as of yet getting parts. There are probably 6 main shops i use and a few secondary.
    Ebay can help from time to time and also web boards.
    I have a ton saved to favorites and will share them all in another response if you would like. Just ask.
    Ill get all the links together and try and make it easy.
    Hope this helps

Btw, I am not an expert tuner, or expert racer. But i do own an 89 with 91-92 updates and a 94.
    I have tons of spare ive collected and im getting really good with repairs, maintance and general fixing things. Ive learned it all from here and other boards and also Reading Reading Reading.

Good luck and if i can help just ask........

14. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Get the 95+ model, more midrange, better selection of parts, you can always update it to newer specs.

Top End: New piston, ring, circlips, bearing, piston pin, basegasket. Possibly head orings.

Usually I get2-3 weekends on a top end and then I replace it all. It takes about 30 minutes to do the swap..real easy..

Chuck D

15. Stu

Stu Country Member

>Are they hard to work on? Changing the piston rings on my Ducati would be a nightmare.

Last year at arace meeting I had the piston in my hand when the first call (about 10 mins) went out for my race. We got the whole thing back together and warmed up in time for the race. So yes , basic maintenance is nothing to be scared of, just read the manual. Lots.

Stu G 96 RS125.