1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dish or directv?

Discussion in 'General' started by scotth, May 17, 2008.

1. scotth

scotth Banned

this time, I mean it...

comcast has been blinking on and off, so this weekend we're getting satellite. I remember somebody saying, "wait for the lmb294s to come out on dish", etc.

who has what, and what do I want? thanks.

2. lrrs517

lrrs517 Internet Investigative Officer

Whats great about satilite tv is when you go to the track you bring it with you. Get a extra dish on Craigslist and make a stand. Point in general direction and keep moving till it starts beeping and presto. You can watch FIM on speedchannel. Or leave it to beaver.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I have Dishnetwork and it doesn't suck. You lose signal in hard rain for a bit but that comes with not dealing with a cable company.

Would I recomend it? Well, it's better than cable and it doesn't suck.

4. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

5. buxton

buxton Southern Canadian

I've had both Dish Network and DirectTV. Both worked fine however Dish customer service (you're talking to India) absolutely sucks. Direct TV has/had an American customer service center and I had wonderful luck with them. Now I'm waiting for my two year contract to expire and I'm switching back.

Dawn

6. woodyracing

woodyracing Well-Known Member

DirecTV with a Tivo (weeknees.com still has the actual Tivo units I believe, the DirecTV DVR is garbage)

7. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

had an overall great experience for the 4+ years I had DirecTV. my folks have Dish and it's been fine for them as well...I just liked the programming packages with DirecTV more at the time. and now I'm on to FIOS :D

8. jeredh

jeredh Well-Known Member

DirectTV. tons of HD channels (including Speed). I got a free portable DVD player with my subscription. The HD-DVR is the best thing since women.

9. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

DirecTV. The DTV PVR is getting better with each code update. It's no TiVo, but it's much better than when it first came out.

-steve

10. shogun

shogun Well-Known Member

Direct here too. Been very happy with it. I didn't like Dish's packages, and refuse to go back to cable.

11. Strick

Strick Good to be king

I have been with DTV for 13 years or so and they have been pretty good.

12. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

I had direct tv for a number of years in Maine, great experience. I moved to TN and they were the biggest bunch of phucking retards on the planet.

I have Dish now, no long term contract, month to month so I can tell them to get phucked when ever I want with no penalties.

I paid over $500 to great rid of direct tv and vowed to do whatever I can to turn people away from them. THEY SUCK PHUCKING GOAT BALLS!

13. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

So I take it you are trying to say stay away from DirecTV then? :D

14. scotth

scotth Banned

here's another question: where do I buy it? I spent today at best buy, circuit city, sears, and radio shack trying to buy a setup. they don't actually sell them at sears, it seems, they just have the display. circuit city was selling them for something like $500 for a tuner and the dish.

we had dish about 10 years ago, and they gave us the equipment when we signed a contract. did that go away?

15. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Call DTV, tell them you are considering them and Dish and you would like to get the HD DVR setup. Also tell them that you can get the same setup from Dish for free and want them to do the same otherwise you'll go to Dish.

If they give you a hard time, then get Dish Network, but if you talk to the right person at DTV, it should be free, just a $20 shipping charge.

Ive been a DTV customer since 1994 and have been happy for the most part. Recently I had a few issues with them and got to the point I said just disconnect my service. Once they transfered me to that group (called the customer retention group) the person on the phone miraculously was able to resolve all of my problems. She also told me that if I ever had any other issues, ask to be transfered to them. Their the only ones with authority to do anything.

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  16. paul

paul just fast enough

I've had dish for 8 years and love it. Dvr,s,,,how did I live without it?. Dtv seems to have better sports packages from what I hear but I don,t have time to watch every football or basketball game each week. Go to Dishnetwork.com and you will see what they offer.

17. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

If you are past your two year commitment Direct tv is ok, but if you are new thay have you buy the balls. I made the mistake of doing a movers connect and getting a new contract and then everything went to shit. That is why I went with Dish, no contract just month to month. I would call both companies directly and then they set up install for you. DON'T pay for any equipment most everything is free if you do a little shopping.

18. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I hear peeps say that about the rain, but in 5+ years I've lost my signal maybe 3 or 4 times for a grand total of well under an hour. I'm thinking that if the install is good (doesn't move when it's windy) then maybe that mitigates the weather thing? I've watched weather updates during a tornado warning w. sustained drenching rain and 40-50+ mph winds w/ higher gusts and not lost the signal.

Maybe I'm just lucky?

Another possibility is that it might be more forgiving depending on where you are geographically? All of my DishTV time has been in Louisville and Nashville, so that's possible too.

ANYway...I dont' really know what the differences are from DirecTV and Dish, but I really like Dish...I need cable like I need a compressed, blocky, pixelated hole in the head.

19. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

Where do you satellite guys get your internet?

20. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Verizon DSL