More potent radiator for 1st gen. SV650S?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by TJT, May 13, 2008.

1. TJT

TJT Well-Known Member

I've worked my motor a little now and I want to keep it cooler than the stock radiator can muster. What radiator can I get that will match up in terms of plumbing and bolts right in? Does the 2nd gen. rad cool better? Does it bolt right on? SV1000? Model/year?
    Thanks for the help!

2. acer66

acer66 Well-Known Member

3. TJT

TJT Well-Known Member

The PWR rad is $420 + shipping, plus it doesn't bolt right on, apparently bracket fabrication is required... :eek:

4. b-sav

b-sav Well-Known Member

Mine uses an older model R6 radiator ( I believe a '02 or so) It fits pretty well but needs a different hose for the top hose, and you have to tilt it back slightly so the front wheel won't hit it under full compression.

5. CuStOm

CuStOm OMRRA Racer

I have a 90hp 2nd gen and use distilled water and water wetter. I have never had it run hot at all. I think if it is properly tuned then the stock radiator is fine. Then again I am in Oregon, we don't do hot. :)

6. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

The radiator itself doesn't need bracket fabrication, you just need to fashion 2 small hanger straps to hang it from the frame, very easy. The PWR works great.

7. CuStOm

CuStOm OMRRA Racer

Are you guys removing the cooling fan for your race applications? Do the 2nd gen bikes ECU care if it is unplugged?
    Cheers