1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spring removal on Penske

Discussion in 'Tech' started by pcb122, Apr 25, 2008.

1. pcb122

pcb122 Well-Known Member

I unscrewed the preload collar at the top which loosened up the spring but I don't know which of the pieces on the bottom I'm supposed to undo and they all are really tight. Is it the red aduster?

Attached Files:

2. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Push the spring seat up, remove the circlip, and the seat and spring will fall off of the bottom of the shock.

3. pcb122

pcb122 Well-Known Member

I did that and the bottom pieces are still attached. I don't unscrew anything at the bottom?

4. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

If all you're trying to do is remove the spring, then no.

5. pcb122

pcb122 Well-Known Member

yup, just fell right off. thanks Yam

6. Stavesacre

Stavesacre Well-Known Member

wow I was just trying to figure out this exact thing....amazing how helpful the search button is

7. PainfullySlow

PainfullySlow Active Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but this seemed to be the most appropriate place. Are there any tricks to getting the preload collar off? I know the process for replacing the spring but I cant get the damn thing to budge. I assume there is a special tool for this (which I dont have). Do I have any alternatives?

8. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

There are (probably, if you have a newer one) lock screws in the collar that have to be loosened.