OT: Any PD snipers out there?

Discussion in 'General' started by Chris, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

I am going to be starting a police academy relatively soon (if everything comes back OK). I have been a decent shot with a rifle since I was young. I went top shot in my Military Academy and went all state. Is anyone here a sniper for a police department? I am in the market for a nice rifle to get my wits back, but want to make sure I get a rifle that could help me get accustomed to what the department would be issuing. I know departments differ from county/state, but I would like to see if I could come as close as possible. I am applying to a deparment in southern California.

Thanks in advance.

2. Smokes35

Smokes35 Well-Known Member

The only thing i snipe is random crazy girls.... so im of no help at all as usual.

I can sorta snipe on COD4 but only if the other team consists of mentally challenged kids and someone blind in one eye.

3. Chris

There is nothing in the above statement I didn't already know smokes. :D

4. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

:crackup:

check out gunbroker.com and look in the bolt action rifles section. there are always peeps selling "tactical" rifles...maybe some semblance of what PD's might be using for you.

btw...I'm gonna call the locals and sell you out if you don't start playing COD4 more:moon:

5. BC

BC Well-Known Member

.308 is what most used at the range I use to frequent, which was 600yrd and the longest in the state.

I wouldn't drop any big coin at this point, just get a decent rifle and go shoot as much as you can to get your eye back.

Whatever you get, use a vice to see what the rifle is capable of, then you'll know what you need to do.

6. Chris

HOW DARE YOU!?!?!?!?! :D I don't really want to purchase a used setup. I would prefer to start from scratch and use my own preference on scope/mounts/bolt/pin etc. I am going to most likely get a 7mm mag, but if most departments are using a 30-06, then I would go that route. And by the way, get your honkey ass on COD4 tonight and I will show you how to play. :moon:

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

What vice do you suggest? Pandering? Solicitation?:D

8. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I would wait until you graduate the academy and go through FTO training. Usually, you have to be on the PD for 2 years before you can apply for specialized positions (swat, k9, etc..) During that time you can hone your skills and write off the cost of the rifle on your taxes.....!

9. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

you should have failed your written test, cuz your reading comprehension is for shit. :D

what I said was check it out for ideas of what's out there...not to buy...(and they have plenty of new on there anyway, slack-ass).

btw...you're almost to the point where you're better than Janelle at COD4...almost.

10. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Each dept. is different so you might just want to ask their SWAT.

11. musclehead

musclehead Well-Known Member

Remington makes a 700 police model with a heavy barrel and a good trigger you can get for roughly $700 the big price will be the optics, those you get what you pay for. You really want to improve like anything else practice,practice,practice. Pick up a ruger 10\22 the heavy barreled target model pick up a decent 4x scope and head to the range. Work on your breathing, getting a natural point of aim,and squeezing off each round. Like bikes people worry to much about the best and greatest without working on their skill.

12. runfromme

runfromme Well-Known Member

Remington 700PSS .308 with a decent Leupold would be the way to go. That I'd one of the most common police sniper rifles and also the platform for the Marine's M24.

Wait until you get on the street and more familiar with the job before you start thinking about where you would like to go with your career. If you're on a big job there will be a lot of good things to aspire to.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  13. Keep Up

Keep Up N 142

im no sniper but a damn good shot, with a remington custom shop .708 i guess is how you would right it... 708 : )

but 308 is the way to go from everything I've read

14. Rhoades

Rhoades Well-Known Member

If youre just going to an academy and already worrying about being a sniper youre way ahead of yourself. The biggest factor in terms of being selected to a tactical team isnt youre accuracy with a rifle but your reputation and your attitude. Finish the academy, finish FTO, work the streets for AT LEAST 5 years and learn how to be a cop, THEN worry about extra assignments.