1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scoring by transponder

Discussion in 'General' started by Mongo, Aug 28, 2002.

?

Do you want transponder based scoring for all classes in all regions?

1. Yes

172 vote(s)
    84.7%
  2. No

31 vote(s)
    15.3%
  1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh good god I'm tired of this self righteous bullshit this week. Don't race at all - it's not a necessity!

I can guarantee that right now I can easily find 20 riders that could use two weekend old tires on your bike and go faster than you can on fresh rubber - so just how much of a necessity are new tires every weekend?

If you after all that you still care to run WERA then here's the deal - we are NOT going to be purchasing air fence and transporting it around the country. That is not an option for us, never has been, never will be. We don't have the infrastructure needed for that enterprise. So, spending money on airfence would be a huge waste. We can either rent airfence or strawbales and effectively cover anything we need to - and guess what! We already do that!

Now, taking into consideration that we already cover the walls, why should we charge riders another 900 grand to do the same thing? Doesn't make sense sorry.

Do we have pproblems with our current scoring - yes. Is there technology out there that will cure these issues - yes. Have we already required this as you seem to think we have - no. All we have done is asked a question and now we're vilified for not caring about safety - bite me. I will not be nice any longer when people are accusing me of not caring about riders being safe, you want to accuse me of somehting that I feel is tantamount to accusing me of murder then you get this type of response.

2. slow rider

slow rider Well-Known Member

Typical of you to show your true colors and resort to personal insults. There was no self righteousness in my posts. I was simply stating a point with the wasted funding efforts that you act like you care so much about. To all other riders, please forgive the narrow mindedness of Mongo, for he is simply a bench racer who couldn't get close to the track on a moped. So he must resort to critical statements about my abilities.
    Your nobility is questionable Mongo, and please let me know who could beat me on an old set of tires.
    One more thing... I wasn't making equivocal murder accusations toward your not caring. Simply posting my God given right to speak freely.
    I'm dun..........................

Last edited: Sep 10, 2002
  3. SpongeBob WeaselPants

SpongeBob WeaselPants Bohemian Ass-Clown

I can do that too... you're an asshole [​IMG]

4. Renard Fiscus

Renard Fiscus Well-Known Member

Why are you guys yelling at each other over a simple question or poll about transponders, it was a yes or no question. Simple, but some of you have to get yourself worked up about "A STORY IN YOUR HEAD" that is all it is "a story", so if you can read the the ordginal question it was a poll and not a attack on anyone. Then WERA can get some real answers about Transponders. So to answer your poll YES to transponders. Having worked both sides of the racing game.

Renard Fiscus
    Roseland NJ
    201-888-5247 Here is the ordginal post:

Okay, here's the deal. We just talked to the people from AMB about the possibility of using their transponder scoring system for all races in all regions next year.

What we are looking at is the following -

(note, this first portion stolen from a competitor and if he doesn't mind I'd like to give him the credit but just in case I won't post his name until I hear from him)

We would raise the first entry fee by $25. Any rider who owns their own private transponder (must be an AMB one) gets a discount of $25 on their first entry. Any rider who does not own one gets no discount and gets a transponder provided by us.

The transponders are $260 for the 12v permanent mount (runs off of the bikes charging system), or $295 for the rechargeable version with an A/C charger and a car charger included. Obviously the rechargeable is better for mulitple bikes. The permanent mount will not be allowed on bikes running total loss (sorry too many worries there). We will have both types available for sale at all events. We will have the ones we provide at all events. Transponders can be sold to another racer. Transponders will be bought back by WERA if you are done racing at a percentage of the initial cost (we're thinking 75% after one year, 50% after 2 and so on).

We would of course continue hand scoring as a back-up. The Endurance teams would need to purchase them as well or use a riders sprint transponder, their choice.

So - vote aye or nay and let us know what you think.

5. SpongeBob WeaselPants

You must be new, that’s what we do around here... yell and bitch and whine and moan and fuel the fire's with innuendo and half-truths

Flaming can be fun [​IMG]

6. Renard Fiscus

Renard Fiscus Well-Known Member

Get a life

I done wasting my time

7. SpongeBob WeaselPants

Well excuuuuuuse me for tyring to inject a little levity into things

Maybe you're feeling just a little but pissy becasue I was the only one to respond or even READ your crap?

Or is it your PMS [​IMG]

8. natedawgee

natedawgee ARNCHU Racing

back to r'c cars...

so what THEY do is turn in the transponders at the end of a race. The next group to race already has their transponders mounted. and the would be 3rd race picks up the transponders from the 1st race...

So we have 15 minutes for each sprint race.
    We need three sets of transponders for the day, or about 120 for each region. 9 regions is 1080 transponders. 1/3rd the price for everybody!

Race 1, 2, and 3 get transponders at the rider's meeting. After Race 1, the racers must leave the transponders at a mondule at pitout, like a gate to make sure they remove it. the racers for race#4 have 30 minutes to get the transponder on their bike.

Who'll pay $100 upfront? I will.

9. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Lyn!!! Reconsider what you've said....

... and remember these comments are coming from some one who advocates Vintage.

Ummm... wasn't something "said" here about a buy-back program??

10. Fireball

Fireball Well-Known Member

I like it. we use it in SCCA, very slick. YES

11. MarkReeser516

MarkReeser516 Well-Known Member

Figured while everyone was talking about transponders again I would make this quote go back to the top. Do we want to pay more for new toys when we could be getting safety with that money.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You must have missed all the posts where I said WERA will not be buying and transporting Airfence. We cannot do it, period, no way, no how. Transponders however we can do. Even JU has realized there is more to it than just buying the barriers.

They are two different issues.

If you would like to support portable safety measures then I urge you to donate to the RRW fund and help JU get more barriers at more tracks.

13. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

okay listen for the thud as Mongo falls out of his chair

I agree with Mongo on this they are different issues and different ways to deal with each.

One is safety and Mongo/WERA has decided that the way the wish to deal with it is for RRW fund to rent provide Air Fence/Air Module, OEM's (Suzuki) provide it for event, borrow from other organizations (AMA, FUSA, CMRA). This is route they choose to protect riders as opposed to buying/hauling/maintaining their own. Even with FUSA owning their own they must prioritize which track ,t is sent to on a given weekend as they have a limited quanity to work with.

Other is scoring FUSA has choosen to purchase transponders for competitors while WERA is undecided on their method to deal with purchase/upkeep/handling of transponders.

And actually with regard to Air Fence/Air Module I kinda like the path JU has taken recently with approach to Putnam.
    Track purchases it and maintains it and adds a fee on to track rental to cover cost mainatance similar to haybale rental/sale.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Re: okay listen for the thud as Mongo falls out of his chair

Me too. We've even asked our insurance reps to chck with the underwriters and see if there is a way to get them to lower the rates for tracks that buy the semi-permanent barriers. We'll see what happens.

The best case scenario for everyone would be for tracks to buy it. Or for us to buy it and donate it to the tracks or something. We're working on our end as much we can (we offered to pay more ot the tracks for rental) and JU is working on his end. Hopefully we can get it done.

15. Village Idiot

Village Idiot Will humiliate self for..

Oh great!!! That's all I needed. More reason for Mark to go faster at Putnam :D

We all applaud the efforts of safety, but as with all extremely expensive issues, the powers that be can only purchase so much with the funds that they have. This is just an issue that many of us have wanted for a long time. Seriously, stand up in the tower for one race and listen to what Jim goes through. If it expedites things for WERA, then we should all be happy. Hopefully by this time next year, or 2005, WERA will have gained enough new neophytes, err.. a, new riders, that we can look into the airfence. But for now, you have my vote for the transponders.