What to look for in a track/race bike

Discussion in 'General' started by mark033, Aug 30, 2002.

1. mark033

mark033 Member

I am in the market for a track/race ready R6. What should I look for when shopping around?

Thanks,
    Mark

2. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

If it's your first track bike you might want to look for something else a little smaller and cheeper. I had the R6 and switched to the SV. I found it hard to get use to the twitchy R6 and learn everything else( braking points, entry and exit speed, corner speed ect.) The R6 is a fun bike and when set up right will rail but maybe not the best choice for a first bike. That's just my opinion but maybe I was just being a sissy:D

3. techy

techy Well-Known Member

There are several ways to go when looking for a good track bike. But it boils down to one thing and everyone here knows what it is.
    money.
    You aint got, then you get what you can.

But any track bike can be found or built with a little knkowlege of what you want the bike to do and how you want it set up.
    I prefer to build my track bikes. Some prefer to buy them from someone that already has it built. It really depends on how much you know about bikes and racing. I will give you my 0.02 lira on the subject though.
    I usually go around to my favorite "honey holes" looking for a good builder from a salvage yard. Make no mistake, I have a 2000 rc51 that is a nice track bike that I got for 4500 from a slavage dealer that I know. Also have a few other nice bikes that I have turned into track bikes from salvage. Anyway... I find a good bike to work with. Strip it down, clean it, do any work to the motor that needs done, clean the frame and motor, (this is so that when I do the first track day, I can tell if I have a leak in anything that could not be seen) put it all together and take it to the road course. Run it through some paces, if it holds, I take it back to the garage and start a paint scheame on it.

But that is my way. That way, I know what the motor is like, what the paint is like, and any problems that the bike *could* have on the track. And I am sure there are enough people to tell you that problems come up...

If you buy a bike, you have to rely on what the seller has told you about the bike. Big difference in knowing and ass-uming.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2002
  4. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

IMHO

Something like this would be perfect, assuming it was nice and clean and checked out:

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14836

Already prepped, spare set of wheels, etc... And in no way do i even know the owner, just using that as an example.

Or you could buy a mint low mileage street bike, and convert it. This is what I did.

A salvage rebuild is an another popular option, I was just scared of hidden defects like a tweaked frame. For less than $1000 more total than a salvage after selling off street stuff, I got a mint barely used and broken in properly strret bike off someone too scared to use it. Also, If i'm not the world worst mechanic I'm at least in the picture, so stripping a salvage down was not as very good option for me, though I will admit I'm getting better at mechanical stuff through nescessity and trying to help people in the pits, my hands for their knowledge.

Anyway, if $$$ is a concern, and when is it not, make sure you invest in your safety, suspension, and brakes first.

5. jck22903

jck22903 zee 500, eez like, Faaack

Mark,

Are you looking to race (and be competitive), or to do 'track days'? I do track days only, maybe 4-6 times a year. I bought an F3 with high miles (that had been converted to a track bike after a wreck) for $2000. The bike had decent track bodywork, a steering damper, and was fully safetywired. I've added front springs, a Fox, and a new front triple (it was bent) and it's everything I need. I've seen setup F3s going for $2000-2500, and sweet F3s going for $3500+. I probably paid a bit too much for mine, but I was swayed b/c they had put a lot of dough into the bike after the wreck.

I'm not bringing this up because an F3 is necessarily the best track bike for you, but if you are just getting started, it could be (they are easy to ride on the track, and cheap). Plus, they are ubiquitous ... there are often multiple F3s for sale on the BBS so it makes it easier to compare relative value.

Best of luck.

6. techy

techy Well-Known Member

I just went and bought a 93 ducati 900ss for 4000.00 that was salvaged with little damage. The front faring was torn off and the gauges where missing....

Other than that the bike has no visible damage what so ever. I priced the race fairings at 1100.00 and I will run everything else stock until I get tired of it and sell it. Will probably invest 2000.00 total into the bike and then sell it for 8k.

Race ready of course. And proven on the track. So to me the salvage is just a great way to go.

The guy also has a 2000 cbrxx and a 2001 busa, not interested in those but for 3k and 8k, could be great track bikes. well not the busa (staight line runner) but you get the idea. Just look for a good straight bike at a good price.:D

7. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

A 93 900ss with clean title and in good condition sells for about $5k so how do you plan on selling your salvage titled 900ss for $8k:confused: Im not trying to give you a hard time im just wondering. Also how do you know the bike is "straight" just by looking at it.....Again just wondering. I think I would be much more comfortable buying from a racer than a salvage yard. Just my opinion.

8. techy

techy Well-Known Member

It doesn't have a salvaged title, the bike was salvaged. An average 93 900ss sells for 5K thats true... But if you do any addons to the bike like new forks, polished rims, new paint, and get the bike pristine again... I can sell it for 8k easy. There is no damage to the bike other than the front fairing, mids, and lowers. Every thing else is bone stock. It is the monopost version of the bike and they had only 1000 produced. This one has the number plate on the front of the frame as #567 of 1000. That alone boost the value. If you buy it from a racer, you don't know what exactly you are getting. Does the motor have a little life left in it? so on and so on... You will get nickled and dimed to death if you do not know what you are buying. Buy from a yard and you find ones like I do, where everything is straight and you just need a body kit for the damn thing. Big difference..

9. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

You said leaving it bone stock except for a body kit. I hate to tell you that polished rims and paint means little when it comes to a bike and it's worth. You can polish a turd all day and in the end it's still a turd(not calling the duc a turd). As far as being limited production my buddy just bought one in Atlanta in "pristine" condition for a little more than what you spent. Far from the $8K you hope to get. Again not flaming you just pointing out some facts. How does a newer model sport bike that's been crashed make it to a salvage yard without a salvage title? When you buy from a racer you know what to expect and in most cases you get a bike that's been set up(Suspension/pipe/bodywork, Etc.) already done. By the time you buy a stock bike and get it race ready you will be the one nickled and dimed to death. Again just my opinion not that it matters.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2002
  10. techy

techy Well-Known Member

It was sold to a friend that wanted to fix it and then put the bike in his salvage yard for parts after he lost interest in fixing it up. I don't agree with buying a "race ready" bike. There are so many problems that can come from that. Allthough if you look around I am in the middle of several deals for raced bikes. This is because I can get the bike tuned, completed, repaired, and re-painted, and ready for the track with no miles on the bike after finishing. And get my money back out of the bike. Without giving a burnned up bike to a racer. I have in the past been nickle and dimed to death with a race bike. I have never been nickle and dimed to death with a salvage bike. A lot of the bikes that I buy from salvage already have a lot of after-market parts on them when I get them. I know how to polish, paint, and rebuild. So when the bike goes out, it is better than new in most cases. Thats where the extra cash from the sale comes in. Your buddy bought a "Pristine" 900ss. Great! After he takes it in for the clutch, cables, braided lines, can, shocks, struts, etc... for the mods. He will be in that bike for way more than 8K. Sorry bud. I have been doing this for about 5 years now. and I have been shite on and I have been the one shiteing. I prefer to send out bikes that guys can ride with what they want all ready to go.:rolleyes:

11. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

The 900ss has the big bore kit and every option and carbon piece you could put on one. Like I said Im just stating my opinion not trying to get into a pissing contest. If it works for you that's great.

5 Years.... wow That must be when you learned about the "struts" on a bike
    :rolleyes:

12. techy

techy Well-Known Member

Alright, I give up.... I will quit the pissin and moaning. We are getting way off topic anyway.:rolleyes:

Struts , forks .... You know what the hell i mean... I have a thousand thing going here right now... Like I can think straight...;)

13. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I agree to disagree, plus I was almost out of piss:D

14. techy

techy Well-Known Member

I was using my buddies piss for that last one...:D

No worries, we know what we are talking about. Even if the rest of the world has no clue.

15. toeslider

toeslider Where is Watkinsville?

I just can't stand it anymore so I have to chime in. I'm the "buddy" with the '95 SSSP with 13,000miles. Carbon high mounts, ss lines, new brake pads, carbon fiber everything, 41mm carbs, 944 big bore kit, and "hippi" did the head work. I'll sell it to you for 7000.00 right now. Oh yea, its number 560. Over here in Ga. you won't get 8000.00 for one, but you can buy mine and sell it. No offense, I would hate for a new guy to buy something and try to sell it later thinking that they could make money on it.

16. techy

techy Well-Known Member

And how much did you pay for it?

17. techy

techy Well-Known Member

I won't be trying to sell it in georgia either. Hell everything there is half the price of what it is here. I can, and will sell it here for 8K and when I do I will send you a copy of the check... Fair enough... If you paid less than 8 for yours, you ripped sombody off. Or they had no clue as to what the had. Either way, I will get 8K out of this one.

18. techy

techy Well-Known Member

Take a picture of the number plate and the bike and post it up here for me to see. Is it the ducati lightweight?

19. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

200 hp GSX-R 1000, full on superbike mods, nitro, carbon fibre wheels, Ti everything....................:D

20. techy

techy Well-Known Member

Re: Re: What to look for in a track/race bike

Thats what I'm talkin about! Do it dude... Do it!:D