1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who is responsible for getting you on the track?

Discussion in 'General' started by Number400, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

HAHAHA!!! :up:

2. gsxrgirlie

gsxrgirlie Well-Known Member

My husband got me started. I'd been riding on the street for about 5 years when I met him. After we started dating I went to watch him race at the Cycle Jam in 05 at VIR. I was instantly hooked. Took the Cornerspeed school next spring and last year was my 1st year racing. It's so addictive....:rock:

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

BryanDerr "I aint signin up unless you do" or some crap like that.

4. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

Pete Moravek's the main culprit, although working for a company that had Randy Renfrow as a founder didn't hurt. now that I'm back from retirement, I can blame the Lawn Dart. :D

5. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

For a name(s): Karl and Stan Meyrs.

For an incident: Helping Karl and his team mates (running an R75/5) in the pit during the last WERA Endurance race held at Bryar Motorsports Park. As a start of a tradition for me and racing, it rained both days at the track. :p

Attached Files:

6. LilJayRR

LilJayRR Well-Known Member

I would have to thank/blame myself, but had help. I bought a 250 ninja at 16. Watched/read anything about two wheels. Then I needed a bigger bike cuz the 250 was too small, and slow, bought a ZX7 cuz it sounded and looked like sex on 2 wheels. Got motorcycle crazy, bought a crashed ZX7 and ran out of $ before getting it 'race ready'. Ended up moving to VA/DC and found Rick Beggs shop, he was the local fast guy and raced Kawi's, a freind and I helped at VIR and Summit in the pits a few times. I got a huge! bonus!! from work and bought a 05 ZX6R... needless to say the bonus wasn't big enough.

7. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

Eric Falt for the inspiration.
    My Dad for the initial cash, first RV, Race bikes, food, etc.

8. rugbymook

rugbymook Under Construction

I was riding street bikes for a while after a hiatus from the dirt. A few of the locals had done ONE trackday before and talked about doing another one for years. I finally bucked up and did my first trackday on the Ducati M900 at BeaveRun in 2004. I got hooked and bought a race prepped CAD cycles 2001 SV650 for the rest of 2004 i did a few trackdays at BeaveRun.

Talked with Sean Marston and Jon Cowles at a NESBA day that year and they said i shoud race. Soooooo, one fine weekend at VIR in March of 2005 i spent the equivalent of a suitcase full of money doing my first WERA event. But i was bitten hard. Thanks fuckers. :D

I met some of the best folks in the last 4 years. :beer:

9. A_Town17

A_Town17 Addicted

Mike Baird and Brice Mitchell (speedybee43)

Brice convinced Mike to do a track day and after they did a season, I finally agreed to try it. I've been addicted for several months now.

I'm trying to corrupt some of my other friends, but their mommies told them not to listen to peer pressure.

10. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

Aaron Brown :beer:

11. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Me. I went to a CRA race as a spectator and knew I wanted to play. Bought an FZR400 street bike, prepped it that winter, got some gear and went racing. Took about a ten year layoff and came back.

On another Fizzer 400. :eek:

12. BHopper 5

BHopper 5 Well-Known Member

Troy Hopkins most of all, Keith Huckabey and Tim Baliey helped damn fine group of guys right there. All different in there own ways.

Troy if I did not have the gear he said they would find it and convinced me to do it.....That was back in 99 now I'm still a trackday junkie...Maybe this year or next I'll put down the 4-5 track days and come run some vintage stuff with my old F3....:up:

13. exracer941

exracer941 Well-Known Member

Kevin Kangas. His brother John raced a GPZ550 and then Kevin did too. Went out to Blackhawk farms in 84? to watch. When I first pulled up to the gate i was terrified. I thought, man I cant ride that fast . ( I had an 81 Honda Hawk 400 at the time.). By the end of the day I was saying to myself, I can do that. Fast forward to 1996 and I started racing YSR's. Then a fellow racer , Steve Shoul, started racing an RZ350. Finally in 98, borrowed a GS500 and took the MARRC school. Got an SV the next year and did a lot of racing the next three years. Won a couple regional CCS championships and ran out of money until last year. Got back into it and loving every minute. I agree 100% with Rosey. You meet the best people at the track. For me that is one of the main draws to going to the track.:beer:

14. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Crashed myself up real good onthe street. Went back to work a few weeks later and was talking to this guy Leon (Paperclip on the WERA BBS) and found that there is a lot more fun out there then riding real fast on the street.

15. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I thought your back was a f* up? That is great! Now I have to go out and get another SV? :up:

16. myNAMEisMUDD

myNAMEisMUDD i like the sound of that

Bo LeMastus. I've gotta thank him for tons of help throughout all my moto and roadracing days. He's the man.

[​IMG]

17. zx1012r

zx1012r WERA Wannabe

I started going to Loudon in 1983 as a spectator. Then in 87 A guy I grew up with started racing at Loudon. Jim Leslie rode his 1986 Ninja 600 220 miles up there, took all the street stuff off, rode the Penguin school all day, then put all the stuff back on and rode home.

I went to most of the races all over the country mostly with AMA being the pit twinkie/driver/crash damage repair/hospital pickup dude til he retired in 1996. I had always wanted to try it but never quite had the cash to.

My girlfriend gave me a ticket to the Keith Code California Suberbike School in 1991 for Christmas. By march Keith wrote us a nice letter saying he was not teaching the school that year to concentrate on his racing. I was pissed!

Every year since 1987 I told myself I was going to try racing some day. Then finally in 2003 at age 36 I took the plunge and rented a bike at a Penguin day. Within 2 weeks I had purchased a race bike and have been racing since. My sister in law and her friend and myself race regularly at Loudon, and this spring i finally broadened my horizons at VIR with WERA.

Now I'm going to try to get to a different track all over the country at least once a year!

I'm not addicted. I can quit any time. :crackhead:

18. Chip

Chip Registered

I owe it all, including my current career to Scott Carpenter. One of my best friends.

Thanks Scott. :up:

19. porkyb

porkyb Chasing LWT Twins

The Park Rangers on Cheaha Mtn...LOL...

Actually I helped out some friends in the pits during a Bargy school/practice day and was Hooked on the Track Atmosphere..

20. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

A guy named Mike Morley, down in Jacksonville, NC. I worked at his shop for a few months after I got out of the Marines back in 1996. I was just a squid, on my first bike, a 1994 VFR750. I had already wadded it up twice in about 1000 miles. He took me under his wing, showed me "the light", and gave me an old circa 1992 WERA rulebook. All down hill from there....