1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making your trailer a little safer, just an idea

Discussion in 'General' started by LVDJC, Mar 13, 2008.

1. LVDJC

LVDJC Well-Known Member

Well if you use a car battery and a solar battery charger to recharge it I think it would last overnight while you are in a hotel or eating in a restaurant and it would recharge itself. Or do like on most toyhaulers and pony two car size batteries together. That should last overnight easily.:up:

2. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

On my old race car trailer I had a battery onboard for the winch. Didn't use a separate battery for the breakaway. Mounted the switch for the breakaway inside the tongue out of site. If I wanted to lock the brakes I could just pull the chord out of the breakaway switch and stick it in my pocket.

3. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

It was a bit pricey, but I bought a boot. I know someone might be able to get around it anyway, but maybe they'll just move to an easier target since most people don't have boots. :D

4. mgrant

mgrant Well-Known Member

If not a boot, how about those trailer wheel locks I've seen (the look like a boot). Anyone try those, they worth it?

5. Dezmo

Dezmo addicted to the trackpipe

Just put your HIV+ pit bull inside :)

6. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

FWIW:

Whenever I parked my van overnight I unplugged the black box, as it was easy to reach..

OR:

Pull the fuel pump fuse, coil wire, ignition pickup wires, etc...

One year after the GNF Kurt Hall had his entire rig stolen from a mall parking lot on the way home; Van, trailer, 3 GSXR's, his Wife's CB400F, tools, leathers, EVERYTHING he had for racing.

That *really* sucks. :mad:

7. A little tip with alarm systems...it takes about .2 ms to short battery leads to a trailer frame. This will fry any electronic circuit. This used to be and probably is still a way thieves are breaking into cars to steal what is in them, and or trailers I supposed.

The best thing is just to be smart and use some common sense and do what you can to prevent this from happening. The boots that go over the tongue, a wheel lock of some sort, locks on the doors. The more a thief has to remove to get in, makes the chance of getting caught greater. If can try not to load your trailer when everyone is around to watch what you put in. Most importantly...DON'T USE YOUR TRAILER AS A STORAGE UNIT!!! When you get home...take your shit out! Blows my mind how many trailers have been stolen from either a shop or a home...with everything still in it.:confused:

This is shitty thing to have happen, and I hold thieves very high up on the scale of shit bag law breakers. I'd rather live next to a drug dealer then a thieve.:rolleyes:

Dave sounds like he has taken some pretty good measures to insure his rig stays safe. If you want to keep your stuff...your going to have to go thru some measures to keep it yours...sucks but that is the truth. Even then if someone wants it bad enough and has the time to go thru the work to get it...they will get it. :mad:

I sure hope the police continue to find and haul these guys off to jail for long periods of time that are doing all the stealing of racing trailers. Shit I say off with both of their hands!:up: :clap:

8. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

+1. Mine has been broken into before. As there was nothing in it, all I lost was the money to buy another padlock.

9. Run-n-hide

Run-n-hide Well-Known Member

10. joe617

joe617 Well-Known Member

F#*K that!:down: I say off with their heads!!! :clap:

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

This sounds a little simple, but could help. Remove the licence plate when you're not towing it. Lack of a plate just might get the perp pulled over.
    Couldn't hurt.

12. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I thought this thread was about "trailer safety", like never cook more then 3lbs of fatback in a cast iron skillet in your double wide without a fire extinguisher close by... moving on :p

13. shift96

shift96 Well-Known Member

Than you'll get robbed by a landscaper:beer:

14. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

That only works if the thieves are literate. :rolleyes:

15. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

Do you know how easy tools are to fence/pawn? Second only to jewelry...

16. benster7625

benster7625 Well-Known Member

Just a thought just had a trailer stolen from work 18' flatbed The police found it just 4 miles away! The theives never even pluged the trailer in so would your your system still work? Most theives stealing a trailer are grab and go and usally after the trailer! Hitch lock is the most cost effective way to slow them down but if they really want it they will find a way to get it! (according to valdosta sheriff dept. Pleased that they found my trailer turned out they just wanted the copper off of it!! 800' of 1 5/8 coax

17. wolf44

wolf44 Well-Known Member

Joe's Plumbing
    Your number 2 is our Number 1 priority

18. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

Keeping the brakes energized will burn your solenoids out, possibly before your battery goes dead.

19. MNellis

MNellis Well-Known Member

20. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

i attach a hand grenade to my trailer..if someone tries to steal it, it goes boom & they dead:up: :D