Shinko race sliks, any feedback / experience?

Discussion in 'General' started by 20_RC51_00, Mar 7, 2008.

1. 20_RC51_00

20_RC51_00 Member

The sub $200 price tag for a pair of shinko race slicks makes them seem like a good candidate for trackdays, but I don't have any experience with them... And I'm not sure if I have the kahones to test them out, because I'm not sure if I could manage a situation if it got really harry... any one else want to be a guinea pig?:D or have any feed back regarding the slicks? Thanks!

at present I run some metzeler M3's on track days, and I'm very happy with them, plus they make an excellent street tire, but I think it might be fun to throw a set of slicks on there for kicks and see what it's like.

2. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

Google ... theres a ton of info out there about them, both good and bad. My take: saving $100 over a set of 209's or something isnt worth the potential bike damage and hospital bills that are generally associated with bad wrecks.

3. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

They aren't track tires, they're drag tires. Stay away.

4. SalKhan

SalKhan Well-Known Member

I think Shinko even says exactly that if you contact them.

5. TrackStar

They have the new road racing slicks out. They are a spec tire for a supermoto series IIRC. They just made some other sizes available for street bikes. They are different than the drag tire.

6. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I'm having a hard time saying this, but I've sold several sets of their performance
    street tires. Every customer has been more that satisfied.

7. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Sorry about my bad info...didn't know they had a new tire out.

8. TrackStar

Dave, I thought the same thing. I did a little research and found that they do have a roadracing type tire now. Alot of guys are using them for trackdays and having good luck.

I also understand they are made by Yokahama.

I aint gonna be the test dummy though.

9. 20_RC51_00

20_RC51_00 Member

That's my concern too. I think some time on google as suggested might serve my quest for answers.

10. little_twin

little_twin Well-Known Member

Their SM tires are not so good. Not very much grip and very unpredictable.

11. WSMC34

WSMC34 Well-Known Member

I actually wrote to Shinko tires about 2 weeks ago to inquire about their tires, just for my own personal info.

They told me in the e-mail that they do not have a track tire (something about not being able to get a mold that is more triangular?), nor do they recommend using their tires for road racing. Street tires, yes. Drag tires, yes. Road racing, no.

I have the e-mail at work, but those are their own words.

12. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

for 200 bucks youd be better off just buying a set of takeoff slicks from someone on here that only used them for a few races.......you could probably pick up 1 or 2 sets