SV Race prep Help

Discussion in 'General' started by Luch, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Luch

Luch Active Member

Ok, So my SV is almost completely race ready. I worked out the nightmare of the GP tech bracket being too long, and fabricated brackets for the rest of the Gixxer bodywork. I made a dashboard and mounted the tach and am in the process of cleaning up all the wires. What dont I need and what do I do with the choke lever? Should I just wire tie all the wires together and put them under the dash? But most importantly, what do I do with the choke lever. I dont really want to leave the stock pod where the choke and turn signal switches are, but the bike is very hard to start without choking it first untill it is warmed up. SO any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

2. James#306

James#306 Backmarker Extraordinaire

Some body (Motion Pro?) makes a stand alone choke dohicky that clamps to the clip on. Or you could just duct tape the cable sheth to the upper bracket where you can easily grab and pull on the cable end for the minute or so that it takes to warm up...

DAMN! Another User ID goes over 1K!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2002
  3. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

I just drilled a couple of hole in the upper triple with the cable sticking through, and bolted the end of the cable housing to the triple.

4. JoeTassone

JoeTassone The Dude abides...

Ken is that you?

If so, you gonna come out and play at Nelsons this weekend?

Joe

5. Luch

Luch Active Member

Whats up Joe. Yeah its me. I was supposed to go to Nelsons this weekend and get my license on sat and then race on sunday but I forgot that this was labor day weekend and about some promise that I made to my girlfriend a long time ago to go camping this weekend. We are taking the quads up to Marienville to that state ATV Park and are going 4 wheeling all weekend. Ill just have to wait till the beginning of next year to get my license because this is the last Wera school of the year. Are you gonna do the track day next weekend at Beaver? Hopefully I can get some seat time on the SV this year. The bodywork is getting sprayed tomorrow and my penske and forks should be here by the end of the week. Have fun at Nelsons, I wish I could be there but I dont know if the bike would be ready by then anyways. See ya

6. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

Get a crimping tool so you can use connectors. Then put them under the dash.

I used some safety wire and plastic tubing to make a pull handle on the end of the cable and just zip tied the metal tube part of the cable housing. The plastic looped handle sticks up near the ignition key but is out of the way. Works fine, and if it ever breaks I can fix it.

7. Martin M

Martin M Former BRP Rider

I kept the stock piece on. Why you don't want it ?

8. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

On my Hawk I used a shifter lever from a 10 speed bicycle for the choke lever. Cable fit perfect.

Works great, adjustable tension, when people ask, say it's overdrive for those loooog straights...:D

9. UGA Dawg

UGA Dawg Fertile Member

Is this an s-model? If not, the left hole in the top of the triple (where the bar clamps were)works great as a choke cable holder. Put the choke cable through the hole from the bottom side. Safety wire the cable underneath the triple about 2.5 inches long. Put a piece of rubber tubing on the safety wire and then wire it above the triple to the end of the choke cable sheath. Walah...you have yourself an easy to operate choke. To activate it, just pull the cable end.

10. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I guess I'm just luck because my SV always cranks and runs without using the choke:cool:

11. JoeTassone

JoeTassone The Dude abides...

That sucks about this weekend, Ken. It's gonna be a long winter waiting for the first race.:)

We're (Doug and I) gonna play it by ear for the Beaver. Depends on the weather and this weekend. It's a long time between Nelsons and the GNF, so any seat time is looking like a good idea.

Joe

12. dave333

dave333 traveler

The previous owner must have trained it to do that... :D:D:D Hoping to do 9/22 with WERA at Putnam. You going to be there?

13. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Maybe you could sell your training skills to other SV650 owners:D
    Won't be at Putnam, The next place we go to is Kershaw on sept. 5?