1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone done trackdays in europe?

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by Gigantic, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

I'm planning a trip to Germany for next August & I'd like to get a taste of the European track experience. Just wondering if anyone has any track time on the other side of the pond & if they could recommend a good trackday org over there.
    Cheers,
    Lance

2. Scott#36

Scott#36 Member

Euro Trackdays

Hey Lance,

We have just moved from Scotland to Canada. I was at Sachenring in Germany with my son in Aug 07. Although I didnt ride it, Ben my son did, he said it was awesome, the best track he's riden. I have had mates go to Bruno, again an excellent circuit but that would be a little travelling for you I think, depending where in Germany you are going. I have raced at the the UK tracks and recommend them all if you get there. If you can get to Spain you are spoiled for choice and they are cheap to get track time. Hope this helps out. Best of luck.

Scott

3. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

Thanks Scott
    Do you recall the trackday club that your son rode with?
    I've also heard - make that read good things about Brno... probably a little far for me. I'll be in the bavarian alps, so I'm hoping for something not more than a couple hour's train ride from there- the Sachsenring looks like it may fit the bill, perhaps.

Anyone else?

4. Scott#36

Scott#36 Member

Lance,

Ben was testing with Redbull for the Moto GP rookies there. But I went hunting for you. Try www.bike-promotion.de they have a track day on Aug 4th, the guy is Normann Broy. It looks if they do other events elsewhere in Germany so if you cant manage the 4th there maybe others. Hope you get sorted out. Keep a note of my email and let me know how you got on.

All the Best

Scott

5. yamaha1

yamaha1 Member

hi guys, i have been racing in Europe for last 20 years, just moved to Georgia USA, my company also has a plant 10 mins from Atlantic motorsports parkn in Canada so opefully will get round there soon.
    If you can access a bike over in Germany, the Nurburgring at 13 miles in length is a track that should not be missed, Big Cahoonas required..:( :rock:

6. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Lance,

Considering your disrespect for the laws of Physics, I would stay away from the Sachenring. Look up some photos, it's a 100+ turn road lines with armco.

I too have done some research on track days in Germany, for I'm going there in June. Most of the companies I've found did events in the former East Germany tracks like Lipzig (sp?) and Euro Motorsports Park.

Overall, track days there are VERY expensive. Germany/Holland/Belgium in general are expensive vs. the rest of Europe and the dollar is not getting any stronger. The killer is bike rentals, figure a good 500 Euros if you can find one. I didn't have any luck, BUT, you will be able to rent a street bike without a problem. GEtting that on the track should be interesting, and considering that Germany is the land of rules and order, I can't see them allowing it.

There are more opportunities in England, but that's even more expensive. Weather is crappy at best, total crap at worst. August should be the best month for Northern Europe/England.

If you're willing to travel (which is easy), you may do better in the Czech Republic. I read about a school that operates in Bruno. Keith Code also does schools throughout Europe, and bikes are part of the package. Again, VERY expensive.

There are a few companies that do events in Italy, but their tracks are also very expensive. Ducati also does a DRE school at many Italian and French tracks. These include new 848s or 1098s, depending on the group. As expected, they're very expensive. I think the racer's group is like $1,000, but you do get a small class size, and a new 1098 to romp on :D

Best bang for buck is Southern Spain. The company that I did the Catalonia event with is http://www.catalansportsbikes.com Ran by a British ex-pat, so no language issues. Can't say the same about the 200+ mad Spaniars that shared the track with me! Renting a 675 and a track day at a GP circuit was like $550 two years ago. I believe the prices are now higher, more in the $700 range. Still, a chance of a lifetime.

Other companies do events at Jerez, Valencia as well. There are also a dozen or so smaller tracks that you probably have seen in magazines, for manufacturer's love to do test events in Spain. The place is a racer's paradise, just riding the public roads are amazing.

7. I did the DRE at Imola in 2003. It was 900 euro, which included a delicious lunch (why cant our tracks have food like they did?), the use of a 999 (now you get a 1098) and instruction from world class instructors including Luca C? the ex world champion. My personal instructer was Mark Garcia who competes in world endurance. He worked with me and two other riders, so I got lots of instruction, and I was actually able to get my knee down for the first time ever in the Tosa corner.

8. antirich

I bet you're glad you went in 2003! 900 Euros = $1300 in todays currency.

Did they have any English speaking instructors at the DRE?

9. Yea, I think I might have made ten cents per euro, or at least broke even that time. Not only was the exchange rate better, but I think Ducati has also raised the price (and included a master racers course) a bit since then.

My instructor was Marc Garcia, and he was english speaking. I was grouped with an Englishman, and a German who also spoke english. I am currently studying Italian, so I would like to go back and try the course with Luca C as an instructor.

10. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

damn, sounds like a cool thing to do.............i might have to look into that in a few years

11. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

ask Mark B. He has done track days across the pond.

12. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Do they ride on the opposite side of the track in Europe?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Carry on.

13. antirich

Only south of the equator.

Something to do with the way the toilets flush.

14. tim503

tim503 Well-Known Member

:D :beer: For anyone who likes the "Isle of Man" type tracks, Nurburgring is not to be missed.

Here's a video from an open track session (bikes and cars on track at the same time). It's from a Porsche 997, and the driver is scaring the shit out of the passenger (who's holding the camera).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPZzqhz-JKw&feature=related

Scheiße indeed! :D

If you're gonna ride there, you'd better be fast enough to stay ahead of guys like this. :up:

BTW, most Germans speak at least some english.

15. wheedle

wheedle Well-Known Member