Moto Guzzi V-50

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by bazoda, Aug 21, 2002.

1. bazoda

bazoda Member

Hey, folks.

[​IMG]

Anybody care to pass judgement on the above bike and its suitability for vintage racing? I know shaft-drive is not usually associated with lap records but then neither am I . . . And I know some people manage to get BMWs to circulate at respectable paces. Anyway, I'm looking for an "affordable" first restoration/race-bike.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2002
  2. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

Call Paul at Marietta Motorports. He is the owner and used to race one in the 80's. I think he won a championship on it. He will tell you the must do things... gearing etc.... good luck

3. boaide

boaide Well-Known Member

You don't tell us the year, but I think a V-50 is at a displacement disadvantage the way the classes are structured.

I would also recommend that if it is your first race bike, you buy a racebike that has gone around the track a few times rather than trying to build one from scratch, particularly a Guzzi as race parts aren't readily available, as say for an RD or Honda 350. It will save you alot of money.

4. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

I'd have to agree with Fred. I would suggest looking for something that is more competitive for a particular class rather than stripping a perfectly good street Guzzi, specially a V-50 in the condition shown... it's just too nice to strip and race. Pick up a race ready RD, CB350 or XS650 and come have some fun.

5. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

Blue Moon Cycles in Atlanta had a previously raced BMW for sale not long ago. Perhaps they still do.

6. GrantMLS

GrantMLS Well-Known Member

I say build it so I can see it! :D I would give up all 2 strokes for a good looking guzzi :)

7. bazoda

bazoda Member

Thanks, fellas.

I was curious about what classes a small-block Guzzi would be eligible for. Maybe a big-block would bring more track-time/competitiveness? Parts are probably easier to come by for the big-blocks too. Hmm . . .

8. GrantMLS

i know there is a lot you can do with the 750's.. Zen Motto in ATL had a few in his shop last time I was there all ready to race.

9. boiade

boiade Well-Known Member

I think that the V-500 would actually be placed in the same class as the 750 Guzzis.

10. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

it would be a great fit for f500 along with the gs450, honda 550 and ducati 500.
    Grant....go wash your mouth out!

11. boaide

boaide Well-Known Member

>>

It isn't eligible for F-500, it is too new

12. boaide

boaide Well-Known Member

The V-500 is eligible for V-4. It is totally inadequate and uncompetitive in V-4. It would also not fair very well in V-3 or F-500 even if it were eligible.

Rule:

Vintage 4
    Pre-1982 Twins/Triples up to 1,000cc
    Pre-1979 SOHC up to 840cc
    Pre-1982 Air cooled, 4-STROKE OHC Multi's up to
    570cc (Twin shock, Only 2 Piston opposed,
    Lockheed style calipers).
    Among the eligible V4 machines are the following: BMW R100 regardless of year. Pre- 1974 BSA/Triumph with big bore kits. Cagiva/Ducati up to 1987 - 650cc Desmo Types, Ducati 900SS bevel drive. All H-D Sportsers up to 1000cc including Evo's. Pre-1974 Honda CB750-overbored to 840, Rickman single cam. Honda Ascot/GB singles up to 600cc regardless of year. MotoGuzzi small block V Twins regardless of year. Pre - 1974 Moto-Guzzi 1000, Norton 850. Suzuki GS 450, Yamaha SRX600 regardless of year. GS 550, GPZ550, Seca 550, KZ550.

13. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

Although the year of the V50 would prohibit it from being V3 legal, it may still be allowed because of the "like design" rule. Let's face it... the V50 is still essentially the same utilitarian design as the V7's.

However the idea of converting it into a competitive V3 race bike wouldn't be very cost effective. You would have to convert to spokes (although I have no qualms with anyone running the heavy and skinny stock cast rims) and beef up the motor through boring and stroking.

Just get a big Guzzi.

14. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

none of the bikes i mentioned is eligible. i wouldnt mind if they were indexed down so there would be more four strokes to race against i f-500. :)

15. GrantMLS

I think I sence another setup against a 4 stroke :D

16. bazoda

bazoda Member

I like the sound of that.

17. iph

iph Well-Known Member

how you gonna gear down a shafti ?, besides its too nice to trash