1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Religion thread (In government, in school, in general)

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Steeltoe, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I think that this process needs to be accelerated a bit to be viable, maybe.

Evolution over many generations, I think would be harder to endure/survive.

Also would it be possible to think that all a species does is refine what is possible under its given DNA. I don't know if I would follow the idea that a species decided to grow a leg just for hell of it, or just in case it was needed in the future. If not in the original progamming, then we start leaning toward miracles.

2. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Oh my, now I must pick at the chink in that coat of armor. Considering that in mankind's early history there wasn't a large number of us running around so a story (myth) could get started among a single "tribe" and as time goes on it could spread to other "tribes" as society continues to grow and intermingle. As in the game of "gossip" the story changes somewhat but still has the same basics. Tales of a "God" certainly would be one of the "myths" that would spread. Hey, it could happen that way. It is logical.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  3. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Yep, Mother Earth, The Great Spirit, and other localized versions.

4. charles

charles The Transporter

Don't forget The Great PIE!

5. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Me too. I think it tastes great. :up:

6. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Or the Great Pumpkin Pie.;)

7. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

We got pictures...
    [​IMG]

8. mrussell

mrussell Staff

I like this one even better.

[​IMG]
    Tiktaalik roseae

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Mr. Russell

Nice to have you pay us a visit. How have you been?

10. mrussell

mrussell Staff

Pretty good , thanks , Mr. Acree. Hope you are well and that natural selection stays in your favor for many years to come.

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Evolution is so obvious you only need look at Colonial America. Your ancestors in this country were much smaller than you are. Visit any of the earliest settlements left standing and you will have to duck to get inside. Beds were much shorter. Clothes were much smaller. The colonists on this continent alone have EVOLVED in the short time since they arrived.

You can point to better medicine or nutrition. It doesn't matter. The fact is humans of Western and African descent on the continent of North America are VASTLY different from their ancestors who first came over.

Or take a look at your dog. Dogs and horses are perfect examples of evolution. Much of it manipulated by man. Regardless of whether it's selective breeding or environmental it's still evolution of a species.

The most telling is when you compare the early fetus of a human to the fetus of say an Orca. You can't tell the difference at a glance. That still freaks me out. One develops legs and arms. The other develops flippers. But up to that point there is little difference. Weird man, just weird.

12. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

With the aid of HGH no doubt!:D

All jokes aside, you don't need to look that far back. The first generation born to Cuban in this country are freaks! I still say it is the steroid in the meat. Or the lack of nutrient in available consumables in the Island. I gained over 40 pound and had a major growth spur in my first couple of months here. My best friend, first guy I met here, attributes it to Ovaltine. I drank that stuff like it was water.

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I've been staying one step ahead of Mr. Darwin for a long time. :D

14. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

I still would like an answer to my above questions or an attempt to answer, come on, I know one of you religious types has the answer.

15. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I am a non-believer but maybe, just maybe God is entertaining himself, testing us, relieving some of the burden of living (if you belive, living is the hard part). Maybe payback is a Beotch.

Tracee, may I suggest that you watch "The Rapture" with Mimi Rogers, if you have not. I think you would like the movie.

16. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Tracee, it's the difference between free will and predestination. The God I believe in gave us free will. It is one of the things that differentiate us from the rest of the animals.

Calvinists are a whole `nother kettle of fish. By their lights, you are either going to heaven or to hell regardless of what you do because you are either in the elect of the dammed from birth.

So, if we have free will, God is a hands-off God. If our course is pre-determined, then we were born to die in that trailer park/POW camp/interment camp/last turn of the last lap.

I, for one, have way too much ego to believe that my life is pre-determined and that my actions have no affect on it.

17. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member

I think my sig says how I feel about religion

18. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Babies are the purest forms of humans, they know no god or anything else for what it matters, why would one be killed an another spared? Because they were predetermined to die or not? I would think that a god would spare innocence, but apparently not.

19. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

You need to watch "The Rapture". I don't want to give the ending away but...

20. jeepskate99

jeepskate99 Treats objects like women

I love religious talk. It's like a huge verbal circle-jerk, where no one can come.