Chain life...question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by 2phast4u, Feb 13, 2008.

1. 2phast4u

2phast4u Chasin #876

when is the right time to put on a new chain...I have an RK 520 gold race chain on my race bike that has worked perfectly for at least 1000 race miles so far...but i feel like maybe i should be changing it soon cause i dont want anything stupid to happen due to being negligent?? mind you the chain doesnt look physically worn but what kind of life should i expect out of it?

2. mountain lion

mountain lion Well-Known Member

If you can pull the chain off the rear sprocket at the 3 o'clock position w/ your fingers and see the full sprocket tooth/teeth, it's time to change. (ie, you shouldn't be able to pull it off much, but it will move a very small amount)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  3. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

I change mine every winter. It always passes the test that mountain lion mentioned, but I always end up with tight spots.

4. piper907

piper907 Well-Known Member

+1... I have never waited untill a chain was soo worn that it would fail that test... (and I ride a 600!!!)
    Chain life is going to be substantially less for you (on a 1k) than me on a smaller bike but tight spots in the chain are a pretty good indication that it is getting worn. When I see a tight spot in the chain I put a sharpie mark on the link and keep an eye on it... if it stays tight in the same spot after lubing it up and riding on it then it is a good time to plan on swapping the chain out as soon as it is convinient.:beer:

5. acer66

acer66 Well-Known Member

not to jack the tread but how bad is for a 525 chain to get used on a 520 rear sprocket on a sv650? If the chain eats the sprocket I am fine, the other way around would be bad for me

6. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Look for tight and loose spots.
    Also look for wear on the sprocket teeth, as the chain and sprockets wear at the same rate.
    BTW, 1000 miles on a race chain is TOO FAR.

7. lrrs517

lrrs517 Internet Investigative Officer

take chain off . clean it. lay on flat surface push tight and take a measurement of 10 inches. now stretch chain and remeasure. .02 play and its junk. by the way engine cases are costly