1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another towing question!

Discussion in 'General' started by mmfoor, Feb 13, 2008.

1. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Can't seem to sell the damn '05 Impala. If I'm stuck with it, it will have to earn its keep. Has a small V6.
    U-Haul can put a Class II hitch and light duty trans cooler on it. I will be pulling a 6x12 enclosed single-axle trailer with racebike and gear around GA and AL (not many steep grades).
    Can this car do this occasionally? It will give me an option other than the 8 mpg RV on races where I only go for a day.

mmfoor

2. KovzR6

KovzR6 Well-Known Member

6x12..... i would say no....

3. RollieManollie

RollieManollie I Need to Get My Beak Wet

Your a better man than me. I would have to say that's pretty hard on that car.

4. geoff--9

geoff--9 Well-Known Member

a class 2 is usually 2000 lbs, your trailer probably weighs that much just by itself,

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah man, it'll do it. For about a mile or two.

6. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

:stupid: go class 3, a better choice if the impala can pull the trailer

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  7. Keep Up

Keep Up N 142

after you toss a little gear here and there your gonna add a ton of weight to that trailer and not realize it... that's how i realized my trucks limits haha

don't burn up your tranny

8. zx1012r

zx1012r WERA Wannabe

I work at a Chevy dealer and own a 2001 Impala. DON"T DO IT! The transmissions are super prone to stripping all the overdrive splines off the main shaft and that is without towing a trailer. Not to mention the brakes are prone to warping the rotors.

All in all a good car though, but not for towing.

9. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

The class 2 is over 3000; I think the class I is 2000.

I get the feeling as you state, that the tranny would be toast. I just needed my impression confirmed. Thanks! I still need to sell it and get a truck. Like you say also, it's a decent car to drive (just ran up to Tally in it this past weekend and it was a comfortable ride).

mmfoor

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  10. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Nah, bet I could get to Barber. I just wouldn't make it home!

They don't have a class 3 for the Imp.
    Cars suck!

mmfoor

11. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I think the towing capacity for that car is stated at 1000 pounds. I'd tow an open trailer on it, but not an enclosed even close to that size.

Maybe trade it in on a used van or 1/2 ton p/u? Dealers are strugling to sell used light-ish duty full size trucks these days...many Chevy dealers would sell their souls to swap a clean 05 Impala for a truck on the lot. Maybe worth a shot?

12. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

You'd probably get more selling it outright, but consider trading it in on a ext. cab V6 truck like a GMC Canyon, Toyota Tacoma, etc.. I pull a 6x10 enclosed with my Sonoma and it does well.

13. RB

RB Well-Known Member

Just about anything will pull a small open trailer [ even a LeCar :p ]