sv clutch gone

Discussion in 'Tech' started by acer66, Jan 23, 2008.

1. acer66

acer66 Well-Known Member

was very excited today my project sv was ready for a spin, i had the bike running and shifting a few weeks before, now i replaced the clutch perch and when i removed the case which covers the front sprocket i saw that the counter nut which holds the adjuster for the clutch cable in place was loose and the little spring which pulls the lever back was gone, nut back at it`s place and the spring replaced, all good i thought, but know the clutch lever pulls in with no resistance and it does not work, it`s like i put the 1. gear in with no clutch
    any thoughts on that ?

thank you

2. kosta

kosta Well-Known Member

you might try pulling the actuator off and seeing if it moves back and forth when you rotate the arm. If someone made the mistake of pulling that thing apart, all the ball bearings that operate in the spiral grooves might have fallen out. It happen to me and it took some dooing to find them and put it back together again. Make sure you have a clutch shaft there also.

3. acer66

acer66 Well-Known Member

thank you for the info, i actually noticed those balls when i pulled the spring of my spare clutch cable and the whole thing (spare) fell apart :( what i don`t get is that it was working before and now it`s not, i read somewhere that it could be that the clutch plates could together when the bike did not run for a longer time but a couple of weeks does not seem that long :confused:

4. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

you replaced perch.maybe this one is shorter and you need more tension on cable.also make sure mechanism is adjusted properly.
    little spring missing has nothing to do with it.

5. acer66

acer66 Well-Known Member

i replaced the stock clutch perch with with a 90`s kawa zx6 one which i also use without any problems on my other sv, looks like i have to take everything apart, clean it, lube it and put it back together while i cross my fingers :)
    but that is for another day right now it`s pouring rain here in socal :(

thank you

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  6. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

set adjusters on ends of cable to shortest than adjust mechanism first.than go back to cable adjusters.

7. acer66

acer66 Well-Known Member

shortest means both screws (perch & housing) all the way out ?

i can`t see where i could it adjust it somewhere else, what mechanism do you mean ?

thank you