Tech question, on board cams

Discussion in 'Tech' started by HideOut, Jan 17, 2008.

1. HideOut

HideOut Well-Known Member

Ok, sorta a tech related question, more of a "what kind do you use" thing. I had an Oregon Sci ATC-1000 but the battery tray gave up quickly. It can be sorta patched but Id like to have something with alot better quality. I have purchased a HDD based recorder that has a 40GB laptop drive in it. It is a Yukai (aka Mustek) PVR-H240. It has 3 RCA in/out cables (vid and 2 sound) so it should record what I need it to. The on/off thing is gonna be interesting though, gonna have to wire it hot with fused system cause its tricky to turn on (impossible with gloves I think.) So the question is, what kinda cam (and hopefully mic system) is around that outputs to RCA? I dont wanna use a cam corder cause of size. I want it to hide in the nose of my bike. Ive considered 2 of them with an RCA switcher so as I pass or get passed I can change cam views to see it happen.

Whats the options out there? Hoping to stay not alot more than $200 for a cam.

2. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

mmm sounds like you have quite a complicated setup there...............sell what you can and get a Samsung sports cam??

I am very happy with mine and it cost me like 350 on Amazon.com, you just gotta find the right deal

comes with everything you need to shoot Good onboard video, you can even use the cam for other stuff.....and the cord has an on/off/record button

just a thought

3. HideOut

Arnt they large? I want it inside t he nose (possibly with another on tail)

4. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

5. HideOut

cam looks neat and might work with my recorder. Their recorder is VERY pricey though...

6. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

yeah but I want their recorer because you can put in a safe location for a crash and using the remote you can start and stop the recording. this means you can more easly start the recording after you have your gear on.

7. crshovrd

crshovrd Well-Known Member

this year i'm going to be trying the canon elura 50 with a bullet cam and a lanc controller...we'll see how it goes. it's a miniDV solution that cost me $100...i couldn't turn it down..

8. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

do you have the camera? I don't see a lanc port on the pictures on the internet

9. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

You are going to use a hard drive based camera? Kiss it goodbye....

Best quality is MiniDV tape. I've used different flash based options, and the quality is not that good. The MiniDV I can play on my 50" Hi-def tv (and using the same bullet cam, so the cam wasn't what was holding back the flash camera). I tried the Motocomm camera system, and one using the RCA Lyra (the Lyra was better, video wise, and using with gloves).

So now I got a MiniDV based camer (Cannon Elura) off ebay (every home user is unloading these tape-based cameras these days) for around $100 with extra batteries and other stuff. Sits in the tail of my bike for some protection, with the bullet cam in the nose, and a LANC controller on my triple clamp that turns the camera on and off and can start and stop the recording (both great for saving battery life and tape).

10. mofo

mofo Active Member

I agree with Matt H, most flash based systems are not very good. But there are exceptions like www.bulletdvr.com which i just bought and only have praises for, it is very high quality compared to Mustek and others, but also more pricey. But it's got a laptimer built-in ;)

11. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I have Elura.what bullet cam you using?

12. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

twenty20 kit (cam and mic with one miniplug for camera, direct power with in-line fuse to battery, and fully articulating mount that I put inside the front fairing).

13. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1