Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin

Discussion in 'General' started by mattyg587, Jan 15, 2008.

1. mattyg587

mattyg587 Speedbike.com

Can a seller of a motorcycle transfer the bike with only a Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin and bill of sale (not a title since the bike has never been registered)? Or does the owner have to get a title for the bike first? The Bike is in Mass and the buyer in New York.

2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I'd say yes (just the MSO) but I'd check with the NY title office first.

3. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Yes you can, that's how I bought my Ducati 998 new back in 2002 to save money on paperwork fees since I bought the bike out of state. Not problems at MVA, just had to pay the taxes and title fee.

4. alan

alan Well-Known Member

As long as the MSO is not made out to another person already.

5. cw195

cw195 Well-Known Member

Just a warning, some states will give you trouble if the MSO is filled out with the original owners name. If it is blank you are good to go.

6. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

the MSO I had had the dealership's name as the owner. Then I had the bill of sale saying it was mine. no issues at all.

7. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

Here's what bugs me about the issue

Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin = MSO

Did they used to spell it Sertificate?

:confused:

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Statement.

9. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

I've got to learn more S words. SH!t!! :D

10. lightisright

lightisright Well-Known Member

Can someone explain the difference, or, why you'd get an MSO instead of the title? If you just get an MSO and bill of sale from the dealer, then do you not pay sales tax?

Thanks.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You pay sales tax no matter what.

MSO is the paper that says where the vehicle was made and by whom.

Title is the paper that says who owns the vehicle. You do have to title them, you don't have to register them (local laws vary of course).

12. mattyg587

mattyg587 Speedbike.com

Thanks for the warning. As you guessed, it's filled out and signed by the current owner. I expect this isn't much different from a title being signed over and the transfer never completed through DMV. Looks like I'll be asking for a completed title as well. Is there any way his dealer can help him sort this out? :confused:

13. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Let me check this out at work tomorrow, Matty. The best I understand it is that the Commonwealth wants their money, so the seller might have to apply for a title (thus paying the "excise tax") which he can then sign over to you when you buy the bike.

14. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

When I worked at a Cadillac dealership, the Registry came by and wanted to see the titles for the wrecker and parts truck. We didn't apply for them because we were using repair and/or dealer plates on them. The Registry told us that we had to apply for titles to the trucks, whether we registered them or not. This was to get them on the tax rolls.

15. ahastings

ahastings Well-Known Member

If the MSO has his name on it then yes he will have to get it titled before he can legally transfer it. If it is a racebike only and will never be a streetbike, then it is a moot point. Usually people do this to avoid paying sales tax on a racebike. If you buy it out of state and don't title it then you get out of paying sales tax.

16. Indy92

Indy92 Beer Me

I think JB is correct and Matty, you still paid too much :D

BB

17. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

That is an unlawful transfer in PA and NY (I sold motorcycles proessionally in boths states.)

The seller has to make application for title adn pay the sales tax on the vehicle in his home state. Then he gets a title, which he transfers to you, and you pay your state sales tax based on the current value of the vehicle.

If you try to use a Bill of Sale for $1000 on a $15K motorcycle, you may get to visit a state guest facility, the graybar hotel. They are gettimng really aggressive on collecting ALL the taxes due, especially in interstate commerce.

Look up the value at kbb.com and nada.com and find th4e lowest book trade-in value and use that for the B of S. That will clear OK.

Once you get title, buy some insurance on the bike agaist fire and theft.

18. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

No, you don't "Get out of paying it," you are committing tax fraud. Also, if you do not have legal title in your name, it is not your bike. If you ever get pulled over in the night in New York, and they search the trailer, they will impound the bike for lackof proper documentation.

Before you can secure the paperwork, the bike will have been auctioned from the impound. Desireable bikes always go immediately to friends of the cops. Once the bike is auctioned, your rights to it are lost.

19. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I guess all those two smoke racers are in a heap o trouble...

20. zook1k6

zook1k6 Banned

It really can vary from state to state but if you are just going to race the bike you could fill in the next section of the MSO and have it notarized. If you are looking to insure the bike the fact that it is not registered might make it tough!