1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hendo update! (and get well card)

Discussion in 'General' started by mmfoor, Nov 26, 2007.

1. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

I went to see Ilene (her Hendoness) at Martin Army Community Hospital (MACH) this evening. First time I have had the pleasure to meet her in person and all I can say is she is a very special gal and it was my privilege to get to know her.

She has a big wound from wher the appendix was removed and another smaller open wound from where the drain was just removed. Problem now is when the appendix burst, she was infected with all manner of sandbox germs and it may be awhile before they sort all of that out.
    That being said, she is in great spirits and loves to show off her wounds (I should have brought the camera-maybe next visit!).The place they treated her after Iraq (can't remember the name) was a trip! She had to fire her doc who then tried to pull rank but Hendo stood her ground. To hear her relate the story was well worth the price of admission!

She will be transported to a local hospital tomorrow (St. Francis) to have a PICC (peripherally inserted central catheter) line put in and then she will return to MACH. As soon as they have a handle on the infection she will move to a medical holding company at Benning. The holding Co. 1SG came up for a visit and appeared to be truly concerned for our Hendo. The Army has managed to loose her pay and he is getting on that. Also her folks come in this evening and are putting in at a motel, but the 1SG is going to move them to some ex-quarters for free! Her folks will stay thru the weekend. Top told her to consider taking generous convalecsent leave but all Ilene can talk about is getting back to the two troops that serve under her and need her guidance. Like I said: what a gal!
    Here is the direct line phone number to her room; she welcomes your calls! Percocet is a wonderful thing! 706-544-3848

Anyhoo, I plan to visit again in a few days and will make sure she is doing OK during her stay here in Columbus, GA. I ask of you all now, even though you may have posted in the other Hendo thread, to post your get well wishes here for her. I will print and deliver. She does not have a laptop or even a cell phone in her room; she was transported from Iraq with her PT shorts, shirt and wallet; that was it! If anyone wants to send a care package, PM me and I will supply my address. As soon as I get the holding Co. addy I'll post.

Being with Ilene made be proud to have been a soldier; there are many brave, selfless and very special people risking it all for us everyday all over the globe. Ilene is indeed one of the special ones.

Bless you Ilene and thanks!
    :bow: :clap:

mmfoor

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  2. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Go Hendo!

(Did that bike deal get sorted out?)

3. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Thanks Morris. Get well soon Hendo!

4. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

Thanks for the update man! When I'd read it was an emergency appendectomy, I was concerned about sepsis.

Get your rest Ilene :)

5. lfg929

lfg929 Well-Known Member

Man, bummer on the appendectomy. I just had one back in October. I managed to go an entire week without it bursting (4 days of that was the docs trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with me). They gave me the lowdown on what would have happend had it burst and I was glad I didn't have to go through it.

I hope you feel better Hendo!

6. bambam454

bambam454 Well-Known Member

thank you again and heal fast. post up some of the specific things that she needs and we can send those or just send some $$$ so they can be purchased locally.

7. joey-95v

joey-95v Registered

Get well soon Ilene.

8. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Get well soon.

9. dave333

dave333 traveler

Heal up quick!

10. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Once someone gets a chance for a care package address, can they let us know?

11. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Get well Ilene.

12. bdaddy

bdaddy Well-Known Member

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

13. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Best wishes and thanks, Ilene!:up:

14. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

I think James might try to come by today!!

15. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

Best of luck healing up! :beer:

Thank you for all that you do, Ilene.

16. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Ilene, I hope you feel better soon. Thank you for all you do!!

17. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Get well soon, Hendo :up:

18. SpEdette

SpEdette Zombie

Oh my gosh! Heal up Ilene!

Can someone post anything she might need/want? Even if it's books to pass the time or something? Though, sadly, I don't think there are any romance novels starring Ben Bostrom... :)

19. Stillie

Stillie Off that like Jay-Z

Awesome!! Get well soon Hendo!!

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Wishing you a speedy recovery, Ilene.