1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dog owners beware

Discussion in 'General' started by Tortuga, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

Our dog has been having some issues as of late and it has prompted some internet research into several things including canned pet food. I was horrified to find out that there are all kinds of really bad things in there that can harm your pooch. Things such as the inedible parts of animals (udders, intestines, etc) and parts from sick and cancer infected animals. We have even seen many many stories about the remains of other cats and dogs being sent from shelters to rendering plants and being used in canned dog food! Your pup can be very very injured or killed by this stuff and the preservatives used can cause all kinds of deseases. Don't want to upset anyone, but please check this out for yourselves. Thanks.

2. Bones74

Bones74 Official Back Marker.

Funny thing they release that information on pets, what about human food?
    That is a real scare.

3. Tortuga

There is no, absolutely zero oversite on dog food companies. They can (and do) put anything they want into a can and call it food. The FDA isn't perfect, but at least some standards do exist with people food.

4. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

Don't be knockin' my hotdogs now!

5. cdeck26

cdeck26 Well-Known Member

Canned dog food is the worst thing you can give your dog.

Give them quality kibble and give them the recommended proportions as listed on the bag. You will see a noticable improvement in there stool for one.

Purina is garbage! Most dog foods sold in grocery stores are all garbage. Read the ingredients!

6. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I don't mess with canned food. Iam all the way fo rmy dog. It's not cheap, but he stays healthy

7. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

We feed our Greyhouds lamb and rice (dry & canned) and have experienced excellent results. I have used this for 20 years with my Grey's and Saluki's. Nice coats and skin and they seem to like it as well.

8. dave333

dave333 traveler

Heck, I wouldn't be at all averse to a diet of lamb and rice! Ya got room in the kennel, Monte?

9. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

It's pretty gross when you read what some foods contain and how they're made.

10. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Its bagged dry food and canned food ya goof! We use the Pet Smart or Nutro brands... I tasted it. The canned would be good heated over toast.. the dry is ... well, kind of dry.

11. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

Science diet, prescription formula.

12. dave333

dave333 traveler

:(

13. Tortuga

Is it actually lamb in the can? The reason I ask is because our "lamb" stuff has "meat by-product" in it. In fact the labels for the "beef" "chicken" and "lamb" flavors all have pretty much the same ingredients. Are the Pet Smart or Nutro brands better stuff? We had to start boiling chicken for ours because we couldn't find a reliably good brand. Here is a site my wife found; http://www.thedogfoodconspiracy.com/dog-food-secrets.php

14. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Eukanuba dry kibble, PERIOD!

15. roadracer86

roadracer86 Always worth the pain.

Lol, that was caviar you ate Monte not dog food, it just taste like dog food!

By the way we feed our dog a homeopathic diet. If I won't it eat neither will my dog.

Rendered pets have the chemical that was used to put the animal to sleep in the cells. The cooking process doesn't rid the feed of that shit that can slowly poison your pet. No bullshit. :tut:

16. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

My Weimaraner and my Dachsund both eat Purina. The Weim gets the Large Breed style because he scarfs down the little kibble and chokes. The Dachsund eats the little stuff fine, and will even sneek a big chunk every now and then. On top of that they get a tbsp of oil and eggs for their coats. My vet, who is also a farm vet, says their diet is just fine and even commends their appearance.

I am not against wet foods, but there is more vulnerability of a wet food to contain parasites.

Other than that, my Weim really likes squirrell :D

17. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

After the melamine recalls a few months back, my wife and I decided we'd just cook for our (six) dogs til the recalls and stuff were all done and the dogfood market returned to normal.

So, after a bit of research we came up with this plan:

Cook 15# of 73% hamburger (the CHEAP stuff) and don't drain it. Take 18 pounds of frozen veggies... corn, carrots, broccoli, cualiflower, spinach, peas, ... anything EXCEPT mushrooms, peppers and onions, and puree it into a homogenous nasty-looking mix and stir that in with the cooked hamburger. Divvy it up into daily use portions and freeze it. Daily use portions comes to (roughly) 10 ounces of the above concoction per 80 pounds of dog to be fed.

Then, get a big-ass bag of rice from Costco, and every day cook some rice to mix with the concoction.... we use (roughly) one cup of rice per 80 pounds of dog to be fed.

Then, dissolve (roughly) 600 mg of plain calcium per 80 pounds of dog to be fed (NOT the calcium + vitamin D) in with some water into their food bowl prior to putting the food in it.

Since we started this, their itchy skin problems have totally cleared up, their ears don't get near as many yeasties, and they fockin LOVE dinnertime!

18. RumbleStrip

RumbleStrip Well-Known Member

Until about 4-5 months ago we were using Diamond Giant Breed for our Mastiff, but do to some of the recalls happening around that time we switched up to Eagle Pack Holistic. It's a bit more money, but I did notice a difference in her eating habits and she even put on some weight!

19. Even Keel

Even Keel Banned

What brand, product are you talking about? BTW intestines and udders, etc are edible.

20. Crashfest

Crashfest Guest

How does your dog food rate?

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

My dog gets Canidae. Human grade ingredients, no by-products, wheat gluten etc.

The super premiums cost no more then the grocery store garbage because they contain no fillers and you can feed less.