1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ray Carter/ Thumper Bros?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by toecutter418, Nov 15, 2007.

1. toecutter418

toecutter418 Flat Rat Racing

Anyone know what happened to Ray Carter, the British guy that raced a SRX600 in the late 80s/early 90s in the MA region. I think he lived in Maryland and shoed horses for a living. His son raced or races also.

2. Thumper79

Thumper79 Member

Ray Carter

Yes he was a Farrier, and hung with Thumper Racing guys. I was just thinking about him several weeks ago when someone was asking about Eugene Klymenko.

Thumper Brothers was Bill Cardell and Rick Steffey, then later Tim O'Connor and John Condron on the Endurance Team. Bill and Rick started on SR500's then Bill Rick and Tim all Raced SRX's at one time or another.

More than you wanted to know..

Cheers, Rick

3. toecutter418

toecutter418 Flat Rat Racing

Rick, thanks for the post. All the names ring a bell, I've been racing at Summit on and off since 1988. Being a fellow Brit, we used to share jokes, wisdom, tea and beer at the track.

4. Millwoodva

Millwoodva Well-Known Member

His BBS user is...Carthorse..:up:
    He was @ Summit for the National...
    Hanging out with Tim Bemisderfer...

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  5. Thumper79

Thumper79 Member

Ray Carter et al

Good news to hear about Ray and the Beaversniffer brothers, both great guys and f a s t !

I recall hearing that Ray had a hip issue; don't remember details..

Cheers, Rick

6. WERA854

WERA854 Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Ray again...a horse crushed his hip, and after surgery the Dr told him that he didn't have another rebuild left on it, so he sold all his bikes in '96 at age 63. I bought his SRX, and got 10 more fast yrs out of it. The bike was built and originally raced by Larry Burkholder, with some engine work by Gene Klymenko.

I used to see Ray at Summit, cruising the paddock with his buddy Bill Alston in a sidecar rig. Ray, Bill and Fred Hopp all raced SRXs at one point, and hung out together at the track until Bill passed away...hadn't seen Ray much since then. Bumped into Tim Bemisderfer about a month ago, and he indicated that Ray was still around.

7. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

I raced with Ray, Ray Jr and Bill way back when at Nelson, Great guys, sorry to hear of Bill's passing.

Here's to them all:beer:

8. Carthorse

Carthorse Member

Ray Carter is still alive and well living in Frederick MD, he is just recovering from another hip replacement surgery on his left leg (the three previous surgeries were on his right leg). He is threatening to come over to my house and get on my street bike when he is recovered. He still actively competes in Equestrian competitions.

I saw Fred Hopp at Summit Pt. last year, I think he was living/moving to Fla.

Ray (the younger)

9. WERA854

Raymond,
    Thanks for the good news, give Ray my best. PM me w/contact info, I'd like to say hi.

10. john marino

john marino New Member

Eugene Klymenko- think twice

I raced many years ago with a 600 single that Eugene Klymenko had sold me. I was new to competitive racing and had also hired him to be by my mechanic. long story short after one season of racing with him and many dollars later he suddenly dissapeared with the bike that I entrusted him to look after. A month or so so after the season had ended contacted him to dicuss modifiaction etc. and he had vanished. I never saw my bike gain. Countless unanswered calls later i realized i was now among a long list of people he used and mainupulated witout concience. A word of caution to anyone considering entering into business with him...what you see is not what you get.

John Marino

11. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaking he built Larry Burkholder's atomically fast SRX600. Larry only raced it one season I think, the year he butted heads with Cam Roos down at the GNF with Cam's gray market FZR400...Was it that bike, the SRX?

12. WERA854

Better not be...Larry sold it to Ray Carter & I bought it from Ray. :eek: and yes, it was fast...and yes, I kick myself in the ass every day for letting it go.

13. john marino

john marino New Member

was it black with klymenko floo stickers?

14. WERA854

No, but it had Klymenko's data inscribed in the head. When Ray had it it was white w/red trim, and had a clean title. But I know how you feel...I had a very special Triumph stolen in 1970. Sonny Routt built me that 75HP engine in 1968 and was one of a kind from the crank up. Not Class 'C' legal at the time, but would be a hell of a vintage racer today. I still have the title, I know the engine number and check every unit-construction right-side shift Triumph I see to this day. :mad:

15. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

When I knew it Larry had it, the tank was the standard Yami deep red and it had a unique fairing and tail section, the tail looked very much like a later TZ-250 and the whole design kind of borrowed from the early Buell, the idea being to close the air at the rear of the bike and not worry about a small frontal area with the fairing...They must have done something right, the thing was wicked fast up top, had to be to keep up with Cam's kitted FZR...