1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for those with Toy Haulers?

Discussion in 'General' started by cw195, Nov 14, 2007.

1. cw195

cw195 Well-Known Member

I have time now the race season is over and have thought seriously about getting a smaller(18-24 ft) toy hauler(trailer type) for next season. I have looked at the "utility" type with a garage in the back and the "rv" type... nicer and more expensive. I see advantages and disadvantages to both. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

2. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

We have a 33ft 5th wheel RV type that is open in the back. Its nice to be able to take the bikes out roll the carpet back in place and use that space as part of the living area. We looked at several with garages in the back and it kinda limits your space. 33ft sounds large but you really run out of space quick once you get a few people in it. It also has a full size shower and toilet that is nice compared to the compact restroom/shower units in the smaller trailers.

3. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Does it smell like gas in there after you move out the bikes?

4. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

I'm a new "small toyhauler" owner, and I ended up with the "RV type" (a Weekend Warrior FB1900). There are definitely plusses and minuses to either type (cargo morphing into RV v/s RV morphing into cargo trailer).

Really, it boils down to your individual usage plans. Ex-Cargo trailers theoretically being a bit better for frequent carrying duty and customizing the interior with racks and the like. RV-types being a bit better for the people element.

In my case, I had a short list of what I was looking for, and there were a few of each type on the list. The right price/features deal came up on one that was "kind of" on my list (at list, it was actually out of my price range), so I jumped.

One of the things I liked about the one I ended up with is that you can lower the overhead bed with the bikes in place. This allows an overnight stay on the way home from the track without having to remove everything. Most of the ceilings on the cargo-types were too low to do this (I'm sure there are such available, but not with the cheaper ones I was looking at). Also, systems like sewage/water tanks, heat, insulation, roofing, etc., were a little better thought out than the cargo types.

As far as the gas smell, I haven't had that problem. One thing to remember is to cap your exhaust when putting the bike in the trailer. I also keep any gas containers (other than the bike) in the tow vehicle. It probably depends on the bike, or will just happen over time, I'm not sure. I also tend to not have much gas in the bike on the way to/from the track.

I recently returned from my first track weekend trip with it, and it was wonderful! Even $3-4 gas isn't encouraging me to give it back! :up:

5. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I haven't had that problem...a little whole of airing it out once I get to the track is all it needs.

6. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

If you have another place to store gas that is a plus. I always drain my tank before I load the bike. Then I leave the gas containers in the back of the truck.

7. lance

lance Well-Known Member

stickboy are you ever gonna buy a new trailer

8. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

His sponsor says he has to win some races first :crackup: :crackup:

9. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Not at all but I dont transport gas back there I through it in the truck and I keep the bike clean.

10. Triple Nickel

Triple Nickel Well-Known Member

I went with a non dedicated garage area as well and think it is a good thing because it is more usable space once you unload.

As people said above, I also haven't had a gas fume problem from the bikes and I transport all my fuel in the bed of my truck.

11. luckyhat12

luckyhat12 Silly Blue Rider

I heard a story that he was getting the goods and was about to take it on a test drive soon.

12. redducman996

redducman996 must go faster

just always make sure the tire pressure is good and never hit anything in the road like pot holes. i know from frist hand knowledge. the out come turns bad
    in a hurry and it a big mess like freeways shutting down,20 cop cars , 3 e.m.s.
    bunch of tow trucks. Damn having flashbacks

13. RCR_531

RCR_531 Well-Known Member

I have a Travelstar built by Starcraft. It is 23 feet with no garage area. My wife would like to have a garage area so we would have to unload the bikes to sleep when we get to the track late at night. It is nice to have at the track and on cold nights I have sleep with the bike in it. We have a queen size tip out on the front too.