1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Track choice drz400sm or a sv650?

Discussion in 'General' started by ToxicDump, Nov 9, 2007.

1. ToxicDump

ToxicDump Member

Hi guys
    Looking for some advice. Long story made short is, I recently took a performance riding course at a local track and would like to start doing some track days. For someone with really no track experience would either bike be a better choice than the other?
    I've been riding for 35 years but would really like to do several track days per year. The course I took used the sv650 and it was a blast and familiar as I used to own one.
    Would the DRZ400SM be a good choice given I am just starting to do track days?

Thanks in advance
    Gary

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

DRZ is fine if you already have it but the SV is probably better overall.

3. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

SV. Great bike, handles well, wrecks better. Cheap to run. Great to learn on.

4. G2G

G2G I feel the need

SV hands down. Easy and cheap to get parts and also alot more fun to race. The DRZ is a heavy underpowered pig. And yes I have ridden both on the track.

5. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

I've seen one hang with and pass a heavily-modified CRF450 at VIR.......

6. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

:crackup: :bow:

7. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Yep, that 450 damn sure didn't have motor on that 400...

8. Cuddles de Sade

had nuthin to do with the riders :D

9. ToxicDump

ToxicDump Member

Thanks for the input guys. Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

Surprised by this comment though. I hadn't heard that before. I was under the impression with it's power to weight ratio it would have been just the opposite. Light and nimble. I will take that under consideration. thanks

Has anyone else ridden both?

Both seem to have good aftermarket support and plenty of used spare parts available.

10. ceej

ceej Active Member

I think he means in comparison to a 450 MX bike converted to a motard, or one of the purpose built racing motards.

I'd get an SV if I were you.

11. Cuddles de Sade

motards in general are light and nimble...quicker than they are fast...the DRZ is on the slower side to begin with is all...try a KTM SMR:D