1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY: Nitrogen Tank Tire Fill System

Discussion in 'Tech' started by gothicbeast, Nov 9, 2007.

1. gothicbeast

gothicbeast Back by court order

Ok,

Jim Cox's of Dunlop race tires suggested I swap to running Nitrogen in my tires. So that means I get to buy a cool new toy, my own Nitrogen system. I did a search, but came up empty handed, so I am asking how can I DIY my own Nitrogen Tank system.

I can find some AL tanks on the net for about $110, but I need a regulator. A nice two dial regulator is $50 or so from the same place. In my case I just want a fixed regulator at around 75psi and buy some attachments to attach a hose and a fill unit.

So anyone have a suggestion on what I should put together and where I should get it?

33 Cu. Ft. Nitrogen High Pressure Aluminum Cylinder that I am thinking of... uses a
    [​IMG]
    # 7" Diameter
    # 19" Height
    # 2216 PSI
    # 153 BAR
    # CGA-580 Valve

Premium Double Gauge Nitrogen Regulator
    [​IMG]
    # Primary Nitrogen Regulator
    # Nitrogen Tank Mount
    # Performance: 1 Pressure / 1 Product
    # 3/8" O.D. Outlet Barb with Shut-off
    # Tank Pressure Gauge: 0-3000 PSI
    # Output Pressure: 0-60 PSI
    # Pressure relief valve releases at 55-56 PSI
    # Built-in inlet seal
    # Easy to use knob for adjusting pressure
    # Constant pressure supply at high output flow rates

2. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

that is pretty fancy set up.you can do cheap version buy simply going to welding shop and buying small bottle nitrogen and than just keep exchanging when empty.

3. gothicbeast

gothicbeast Back by court order

I considered doing just that. The tank "Rental deposit" is $80 and I still need to buy my own regulator. I figure at $100 for a nice AL tank it is mine...

Anyway what kind of regulator should I get?

4. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I bought my bottle,not rented.you only need smallest one.it was about that price filled up.
    I use it for shocks so I have different gauge set up but for tires I dont think you need anything more but simple regulator and/or gauge or even nothing,just hose and valve.

5. dr.z

dr.z Well-Known Member

Excuse the new guy question but why would you want Nitrogen?

Do you have to run diffrent pressures then standard?

6. peter leduc

peter leduc Agaperacing.com

Nitro

Nitro makes you faster....Obviously!!!

Nitrogen expands less than breathing air so you have little to no measureable pressure rise as you're on the track and your tires come up to temp during a race. Using nitrogen takes another variable out of the equation.

PL

7. dr.z

dr.z Well-Known Member

Very cool, thanks.

8. ToxicRacing

ToxicRacing Well-Known Member

9. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

I use my nitrogen bottle for my air wrenchs as well. no need for an air tank or compressor. Cost me $35 a year and that includes using it in the shop as well. Tdub

10. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Do you plan on using it to seat the beads or to use compressed air and then pull a vacuum before adding the Nitrog?
    Seems like if you go to the trouble to use dry gas, the amount of water vapor left in the tire after seating the bead would need to dealt with.

11. gix

gix jigga who?

how do you get all the air completely out so you are able to fill with 100% nitrogen? I mean if you throw the tire on then just pop the bead and fill, won't there still be x amount of regular damp air inside? And isn't the air we breath already like 78% nitrogen? Seems like it might not make that big of difference to go through the hassle of getting a nitrogen set up.. i might be wrong. anyone have some experience with running nitrogen?

12. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Easy enough to rig an A/C gauge set to to handle vac and charge with a pump on one end and the nitrog on the other, they work fine with freon, only the adaptor ends would have to be changed.
    The gauges themselves are fairly accurate as well.