1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

89 GSXR 750 / 1100 parts needed

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Thumper, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Thumper

Thumper Saved by Grace

I'm trying to put a 17" rear wheel on my FZR 400. I've got the rear wheel from an 89 GSXR 750 but I need the brake disc, sprocket carrier and cush drive rubber inserts. I think the TZ250 sprocket carrier will fit too. Any info on a source for these parts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Thumper79

Thumper79 Member

GSXR Rear wheel

I have a 17X 5.5" GSXR rear wheel with cush/sprocket/Rotor and spacers if your interested. I bought it for my 88' GSXR a few years ago, and sold the bike before conversion. Let me know if youre interested ...Cheers, Rick

[email protected]

3. El Skwid!

El Skwid! Old guy, old bikes

You needed it, but now you don't need it? :confused:
    White or black?

4. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

That's probably a different wheel. The 5.5" won't go in a FZR without rubbing th etire agains the chain. Maybe even the rim agains the chain.

5. Thumper

Thumper Saved by Grace

Stick is right. The '89 GSXR750 wheel is 4.5" wide and it is very close to scrubing the chain with a 160 tire on it. Thanks anyway. I'm having a hard time finding a machinist that will make the spacers / axle adaptors I need. This may be a more difficult mod that it should be. I have a wheel like this in place with the correct spacers so I figured I could just say "copy these for me". Any machinist with a metal lathe can make it but that is not the case here in south AL. This spare wheel is getting to be a bigger headache that was expected. Any one got this wheel installed and willing to sell a copy of your spacers / axle adaptors? I'm thinking about trying to get bearings that have the right outer diameter for the wheel and inner for the FZR axle. I can make my own spacers that way.

6. Thumper79

Thumper79 Member

GSXR Wheel/FZR

Maybe a Katana (canatuna) set up will work, tons of those in the bone yards...

Best of luck on the project My last race bike was an 88,89,90 Fzr 400....An assemblage' of parts.

I have a perfect Fox Twin clicker for the 88'/95' GSXR's too, maybe its time to part with all my extras that are just sitting.

Cheers, Rick

7. XRacerX

XRacerX Well-Known Member

I should have a sprocket carrier up in the attic. Prob no extra cushes. Modern GSXR rear discs will bolt on to the wheel. I know the 85-87 750/1100s and the 2000-2003 gsxr rear discs will enterchange. They are slightly smaller dia than the 2nd gen bikes. I use the newer rear discs with the early caliper hanger and everything works out great. $25 shipped on the sprocket carrier, let me know if you are interested, and then I'll go up in the attic... good luck with the project...

8. Thumper

Thumper Saved by Grace

Thanks XracerX, PM sent.

Thanks for the info Thumper79 (are we related?). I think the 'tuna wheels are heavier but I'll have to check into it. It may be do-able.

9. Thumper79

Thumper79 Member

GSXR Wheel

Thumper, similar name is perhaps coincidental...Back in the dark ages (80's) I was part of the endurance team Thumper Brothers...We ran our first endurance event at Pocono on my SR 500 (huge rookie mistake)...The moniker stuck, and 79 was my race number with WERA /CCS...

Cheers, Rick

10. Thumper

Thumper Saved by Grace

Mine came from racing a SRX600. I would like to change it now that I no longer race a single. I miss riding the big single but I don't miss the numerous rebuilds. The machinist didn't install the sleeve into the cylinder correctly so it constantly blew out the head gasket.