1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any IT professionals in here?

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Has your day ever started like this?

P= Phillip (me)
    U-The User

P- We can finish you up this morning. Did you restart at the end of the day by any chance ?

U- I didn’t because I had all this stuff open I want to finish this morning.
    (User displays about 20+ open applications)

P- Oh ok, whenever you get wrapped up just restart and we will finish up. (If you haven’t crashed the thing by then.)

U- Yeah, I want to finish this stuff up first. See?
    (User displays 20+ open applications)

P- No problem, just restart whenever you’re done and shoot me an email.

U- I have to restart?

P- Well you could probably just log off and log back in (and save yourself such terrible hardship) but it’s best to restart.

U- Really? I have to restart? What does that do?

P- (Places hands in pockets to resist the impending slap.)

P- Well, it’s just that the changes can’t take effect until the computer is restarted. (Then you can stop asking me every day if your access was granted even though I told you that I would immediately notify you but you kept friggin buggin me every second like your life depended on it when everyone knows you are NOT THAT FRIGGIN BUSY IN THE FIRST PLACE!!)

2. K Kling

K Kling Well-Known Member

Yeah, it has..........

Damn IT guys. :D

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

It's not like we surf the web all day when we're supposed to be working! Hey, wait a sec... I mean...

4. jeffrop

jeffrop Well-Known Member

I love humans...they keep me employed.

5. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

A little sign pinned up at the operators desk.

Had another strange call last night, "both computers and the credit card machine don't have any power, what should I do?" she had no idea how to check the breaker for the store if one was tripped. Later called back other places in the host store were without power. I told her a building maintenance person would be the one to help restore power, but to manually write tickets until power is restored. This had never happened to her, so she didn't know what to do. Here is the kicker....

... she was the store manager. :rolleyes:

6. EdgeR6

EdgeR6 Well-Known Member

I used to do over the phone tech support. telling people that they have to boot to safe mode. Telling people to tap teh F8 key,, then I would hear two different keys being taped. The computer boots into windows and no boot menu options.

Me, "are u tapping the f8 key?"
    User "yes the f and 8 key"
    Me. Please hold. Then press Mute.
    Start laughing my ass off.
    Pick back up
    me, "u have to tap the f8 key which is on the top row of the keyboard, its only one key"

In some cases it was very difficulate to not make the customer feel stupid.

7. DeeZR6

DeeZR6 WERA BBS #1

Password reset are now standard to: $t0pE@t1ng$h!t

8. ZackJones

ZackJones Well-Known Member

I used to work for a local ISP doing all kinds of stuff. They knew I was gonna be a while when I'd rock back in my chair, put my feet on the desk, close my eyes and start off with "Take the disc labeled disc 1 and insert it into your floppy drive...."

I quickly grew to hate the telephone. To this day if you call me and leave me a voice mail I may call back but if you send me an email, I'll answer you ASAP.

9. Hater

Hater Well-Known Member

I was working for sales\support for a medical software company. I asked a woman to go to her desktop. She replied, yes, she was sitting at her desk

10. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I used to think it was only me... I'll even wait for the answering machine to get it for my home phone... Drives my wife nuts.

11. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Someone want to explain to me what this acronym means..

PEBCAD... It was on out IT wall of top 10 errors.

12. Lawn Dart

Problem
    Exists
    Between
    Chair
    And
    Desk

(Or Keyboard - PEBCAK)

Means "User is a F@ck up"

13. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Nice... :)

14. Don_728

Don_728 The dog made me do it!

We just call it "operator head space"

15. Lawn Dart

There's also the infamous "ID-10-T" error, which loses something when you type it.

16. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

My work voice mail message says to send me an email for faster response. So instead of being smart and not leaving a voice mail and sending me an email, people leave the VM and then send me an email to tell me they have left me a VM. They get ignored for a while.

I rarely listen to my home answering machine, since most people that actually want to talk to me call me on my cell phone. I actually just checked it the other day since it had been a while. I must say it was nice of Evelyn to call and tell everyone that the Jennings National was canceled.

Yes, I hate talking on the phone. I think it's part of having done tech support for a while.

-steve

17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

That's funny you brought up the phone thing. Drives my gf and family nuts. Yet an email or text will get immediate response.

18. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

...yeah it's your phone habits that do it...:Poke:

19. paperclip

paperclip D'oh!

I know I'm gonna have a tough time with a customer when they ask me what "right-click" means

20. paperclip

paperclip D'oh!

On the helicopter community we call it "stick actuator"