Motor Question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by NuttZ, Sep 12, 2007.

1. NuttZ

NuttZ Well-Known Member

I have a question about a motor. I bought a motor from e-bay…for my 2006 GSXR 600 because my motor got a busted lower case in my crash. I went to pick the motor up and was boxed up really well so I opened the box and checked it over but wasn’t checking it like a hawk because it looked really clean. Well this was about 2 months ago and last weekend we start taking my motor out, and I take the new (ebay)motor out and start taking stuff off and notice that the numbers right beside the oil fill level has the last two number scratched out.

So I called my father who is the Sheriff in our county (who also was with me when I picked the motor up) and told him about it to see if there is any way he can run the # that is on it or have any way to see if it was stolen. So if you look real good you can still make out the numbers that we’re scratched at…and I gave him that number and he ran it and nothing came back.

So my questions are.
    Is there any other numbers that are on the motor that I can get off so he can run it again, because he said those numbers came back as nothing?
    And am I SOL because the numbers are scratched out? I bought the bike new last year from the dealer…it has a clear title, and I'm just needing to replace the cases.

I just don’t know what to do…because I kind of pressed for time to get it done, and don’t have the money to buy another motor, and if it is stolen i'm going to turn it in to the Sheriff's dept. and give them that guy's info.

David

2. SPATT

SPATT In a gravel pit near you

call a suzuki dealer with the number and he will be able to tell you the vin # of the bike that it came from.

The number on the case isnt a vin but they are attatched a suzuki dealer will be able to get that info for you. Then your dad can tell you if its from a stolen bike.

I have an extra motor if you need one.

3. NuttZ

NuttZ Well-Known Member

What U wantin for it?

4. NuttZ

NuttZ Well-Known Member

Update:

Got all the information and gave it to the State Police…AND STOLEN!

So my dad is having one of the State Police buddies take care of the legal part from where I got the motor. I am also waiting on State Farm to get back with me…they said I can re-buy the off of them and they will give me a bill of sale for the motor, or I have to give it back to them to sell. They are calling a salvage yard to get a quote to see what to charge me.

I am still unsure on how to handle the situation from the guy I bought it from. I was not aware that it is a Federal Offence to sell something over the internet that was stolen…even though I didn’t pay for it over the internet the initial transaction took place over the net. :confused:

Now I might be out of a motor and not get my bike finished in time for Daytona.

5. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

Well that sucks! At least it won't be you going to jail and you may be helping to put away some bike thieves. Anybody have some ideas to give to Ebay to help put a stop to the hot bikes/parts market? What was the sellers real and Ebay name? Please post it here. :mad:

6. NuttZ

NuttZ Well-Known Member

I didn't get it off of eBay...I posted in the Want to Buy section with my email information for some motor parts...and they contacted me thru email with pictures.

7. bobbyk

bobbyk Well-Known Member

so did you get it on ebay or not?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  8. NuttZ

NuttZ Well-Known Member