AMA moves to a spec tire

Discussion in 'General' started by Knarf Legna, Sep 2, 2007.

1. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

you cant compare things like weather or delays due to track clean-up vs a tire manufacturer product shortfall.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The whole issue about safety is utter bullshit.

Should the AMA dictate which exact compound riders should use every weekend? Because allowing them to choose one that is too soft could cause chunking and could easily explode on them (well, one brand for sure). Oh yeah, like it has. Yet the AMA never felt the need to regulate that? Bastards, not thinking of rider safety.

I wonder if the riders who have lost races due to pit stops because they had a tire that didn't last should go back and sue the AMA for not keeping them safe? What about the fact that the AMA even allows Dunlops to be fitted to the motorcycles? Dunlops have a history of exploding and hurting racers - why are they even allowed to put tires on bikes until they've proven they can fit a tire that is safe?

3. fourandsix

fourandsix Well-Known Member

I am amazed that you would call the teams dumb enough to use a product that has won every championship over god knows how many years. It could have had an effect if i chose to run Superbike but i don't. That makes no difference. I don't think i am sucking up to Broadhead and next time he is at a Wera round why don't you give him your suggestions on how not to be such a dumbass in the future.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Find one time that CCS or WERA shortened a race at the request of one company. Call Mongo and Kevin and ask them. I'll put a grand to the AFF if you can find one instance in the history of WERA for sure (not as familiar with CCS and Edmondson did some seriously weird shit) where that has happened.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Come on, That's BS and you can smell it. Yosh, Mladin and Spies could win on Michelin, Bridgestone or Pirelli as could Hayes, Honda and any other factory team.

6. fourandsix

I am sorry but you come off as a know it all , do you race? , own a team , involved in anyway besides the WERA board?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hell yes I call them dumb. How many riders have been injured by Dunlops exploding - with Miguel being the latest example. Looks to me like they are all willing to put the safety of their riders at stake to win a race or a championship. Even them winning on Dunlops doesn't really prove anything, just because a company is willing to buy the top teams doesn't make them the top producer of any product.

8. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

I think some people may be missing the point. The AMA altered the race distance at the request of and to accomodate a tire vendor because said vendor was unable to supply parts that were good enough to do their job effectivly. How is that anything but a biased decision and an incredibly slippery slope? As far as the safety issue goes; it has been stated repeatedly here that ultimately the riders' safety is up to the rider to make good decisions based on the information they have and the race conditions. Your tires of choice won't last the distance than get a big lead and hope it holds when you have to slow down, plan for a tire swap, switch tires, whatever.

9. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

No, computers don't race. I really don't know anything about the sport, never owned a motorcycle, and actually think they're very dangerous. I do know about your reputation for cheater motors, though. :D

10. fourandsix

I couldn't tell you about a product causing a race to be cancelled or shortened , thats the point , i think Morgan and Road Atlanta made the right call .

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

So are bicycles.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Jimmy, you have to realize that just like you, there are a lot of people on this bored that don't attend WERA stuff at all. And there are a lot of people here with a lot of experience at all levels of racing, making assumptions is usually a bad idea.

13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

no no no, the former trackside Dunlop vendor said it was a good decision.

14. Knarf Legna

Maybe the prospect of losing another top Superbike rider to an exploding tire over a period of a few weeks had Jim Allen shitting bricks. Bad for publicity, and all that.

15. fourandsix

I understand your point , but Road Atlanta management was also involved in the final decision.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So then why are you trying to use that as an argument? Don't bring it up if you don't want to be proven wrong.

17. fourandsix

It's only cheating if you get caught , all race teams push the gray areas , but you would know that. It is also easy to have stones cast when you actually are in the arena competiting!

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh yeah, I can just see that meeting. AMA fears Dunlop will boycott if they don't cave, they tell this to the track, the track sees they have a choice between losing hundreds of thousands of dollars in refunds or losing 5 laps of the show they've paid the AMA to bring. Throwing Road Atlanta under the bus to try and prove your point doesn't work. They had no real say in anything.

You know, for someone who has spent so much time in the AMA paddock you really are naive about how things really work.

19. fourandsix

I am not using that as argument , just saying shit happens , a decision was made that all parties actually involved in were happy with. It was a first time thing and in the available time a decision was made.

20. Knarf Legna

Well, on the bright side, at least they didn't fine a promotor this time. :D