1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best bang for buck DRZ400, XR650, etc??

Discussion in 'General' started by Mblashfield, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

I have a hankerin for an enduro type errand runner, wheelie bike, entertainment street machine. I just looked at a DRZ, $5648 out the door. Whats the word on this type of bike, good or bad. Any input on any of them except Kawasaki.

2. Jason Coleman

Jason Coleman Well-Known Member

I do not have much information for you, but I can tell you that the XR 650 is a handful of a bike in the woods (tighter single track) or on a mx track. As far as single purpose errand runner - solid, stable and tons of fun. If you truly want to go off road with the bike anywhere near 50% of the time, stay with the small cc bike. Lighter is better off road - this is my totally baised opinion, your mileage will vary. :rock:

3. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Aprilia SXV 550

Much more money, Worth every penny. Its Good to be Bad.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've got an 01 (I think) 400S, love it still. Not as fast as some other stuff but all around fun to ride.

5. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Look for a nice used one on CL. A lot cheaper!

6. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Seemed fast enough with the right rider.

7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

If it's strictly for street duty... KTM Duke

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It was still slow as hell, the competition was just not all that :D

9. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

He just didn't have motor.:D

10. TwoRs

TwoRs Well-Known Member

Magic button, DRZ 400 SM for street only...great bike for the money.
    KLX 250S can be pretty good with some mods
    XR650R no button, best motor by far...not a single track bike but lots of fun
    XR650L no comparison to the R, different in every way except "Honda" on the side and it is street legal, might as well buy a KLR650 if you go with the L.

Have money and time to service it when needed with a dealer that has parts, Aprilia!

11. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Supermoto junkie has about 5 SMC 625's for sale(in the for sale section) all are 05 or 06 models. I've had a DRZ400sm and it was a great bike but I would go for a KTM 625 if I was looking again. The 625 has about 50 hp instead of the 38 ish of the DRZ and only has a few more pounds plus it has better brakes, 160 rear tire (easier to find good tires) FCR carb (way better throttle response). One down side is the oil is a little more work but if you check the screens (oil pick up screens) on the DRZ its about the same labor.

Oh the 05 SMC in michigan is in great shape a friend of mine owns it.

12. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

i really love my '03 drz.....but with the current job situation have been considering selling it.

let me know if you're interested.

13. LordMDP

LordMDP ... ... ... ....

i might be selling my XRR soon actually(just paid for college:down: and need more money for my 750 race bike)-let me get some pics

14. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

If you're talking about a new bike, for an enduro-style errand runner the DR650 is the best bang-for-buck IMO. Simple, cheap, and fun as hell to ride around.

15. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

:stupid:

great bike for around town and backroad fun. LOVE mine (especially with the dual Akra cans on it...soooo mean sounding)

16. LordMDP

LordMDP ... ... ... ....

heres my dual-sport:up:
    tagged 01 XR650R --
    also have supermoto wheels and brakes
    (and before anyone asks--no this is not the one I race-lol)
    unfortunately I may sell it because racing and paying for school = not enoguh money for racing:down:
    [​IMG]

17. Cuddles de Sade

also...the LC4 motor is pretty bulletproof, change the oil often, check valves and it's all good. the 625SMC's are awesome if you want something really dirtybike-like.

there are actually a few Dukes that have been on ebay/cycletrader/thumpertalk, etc...lately. most are low miles and for alot less than any new genericness.

my Duke gets almost too much attention for me (and I'm shall we say 'not afraid of ego')...everyone wants to know what it is, those who already know give mad props...there just aren't that many around and I guess it's a bike that everyone has wanted at some point.:beer:

18. joedogR6

joedogR6 Well-Known Member

My duke is for sale, and it is(like everyone who has owned one knows) the most fun bike you can have, everyone wants one, those who dont know what it is wanna know what just passed them, and those who had one want another....

:up:

19. Cuddles de Sade

...so true. I've read the stories and learned from others mistakes...never selling mine (plus it was Randy Renfrow's personal scoot :D)

20. joedogR6

joedogR6 Well-Known Member

Sweeeet.......:up: