Manual cam chain adjusters.

Discussion in 'Tech' started by noidly1, Aug 22, 2007.

1. noidly1

noidly1 Well-Known Member

What is the purpose, and or difference, of using a manual adjuster over the stock spring loaded rachet style?
    Is it to reduce load on the chain by turning in the screw by hand and locking it down or putting more tension on it than what the spring can?

2. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

Mostly a reliability thing. The stock spring tensioners on most bikes can be a little weak allowing the cam chain to become too loose. Some bikes CCT failure is pretty common. Others, pretty rare. At worst, a loose chain can cause the cam gears can skip causing the dreaded piston to valve contact and at the least you can have a noisy, rattling cam chain. Best to just replace it with the manual type and not have to worry.

3. noidly1

noidly1 Well-Known Member

How is it adjusted? Seriosly...

4. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

The manual ones use a solid threaded bolt that screws up against the chain guide. Stock ones are usually a one-way toothed shaft that uses a spring and or oil pressure to apply pressure to the chain guide. If you buy a manual tensioner it will come with instructions for proper adjustment.

5. ZukiRiderz

ZukiRiderz Member

just to add do you fellas change them out for peace of mind @ any mileage or @ specific mileage or only when noise(suspect cct)?

i thinking of replacing mine but only have about 10k mileage but no problem with my cct....

sorry not try to hijack thread

6. Cutaway

Cutaway Well-Known Member

SV650?

Do they make the manual adjsters for 2nd GEN SV650's? Who is a good source? Zoran @ TWF?

TIA!

7. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

8. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

not all 2nd gen adjusters are same.some have oil line to it.
    stock ones are fine.never heard of one failing.
    in fact I have pulled few manual ones off and put stock ones back on,less problems.

9. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Every engine I've torn down that had the auto cam chain adjuster replaced with a manual adjuster, also had trashed chain tensioner and guide rails.
    Seems like EVERYONE wants to run the chain too tight and ends up wearing out the chain and rails.
    In addition, the manual chain adjusters MUST be adjusted as part of routine maintaince to keep up with normal chain stretch.
    If you are paranoid about the auto adjuster, plug in a new one every year or two.

10. crikey

crikey Well-Known Member

never had a problem with the stock tensioner on the newer GSXR's, seems like some people run them because of problems in the past, not current problems. I know some shops that sell them as a 'must have' item cause they make money from the sale, but then they dont know how to adjust them like stated above.

One shop blew up 3 R6 engines and then blamed the tensioner... :down:

11. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

The worn rubber chain guides can also block off the oil screen in the oil pan if it gets real bad.

I had one on my CBR F2 but only after replacing the stock one and having the newone last 5000 miles I I would have it adjusted when my vavles were adjusted and that bike was stolen with 42,000 miles on it still ran like a top.