T2 tire warmers

Discussion in 'General' started by The_Jarhead, Jul 26, 2007.

1. The_Jarhead

The_Jarhead Active Member

I'm picking a set of these up this week while I'm at the track and have a couple questions.

I have been using TyreSox and with being as hot as it is down here in FL the single setting keeps the tire super HOT all day. This is why I wanted to switch to an adjustable warmer.
    Now here come the questions.
    What temp should I set them to?

I ve heard that setting them at 120 between sessions and then at first call for your group bump them to the "HOT" setting and take them off right as you about to leave the pits.
    So what is the optimal "HOT" setting.

I'm running Mich. Pilot 16.5" race slicks if this help answer my questoins.

2. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

for an accurate answer I'd ask your local Michelin vendor. :up:

3. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

As for temps, definitely get that info from your track side tire vendor. He will also tell you the best way to heat them re: time cycles. In general, turning them up to 'hot' at first call is not enough time to get them fully to temperature regardless of what the 'hot' temp you're going for is.

If is happens that there isn't a vendor at the event you're at, a good general setting would be 165f and 30 minutes on at that temp. This is a safe time and temp for any current tire apart from some of the ultra-soft motard stuff. It hot enough that you're getting good benefit, and long enough to get heat through the whole carcass of the tire...but not too hot, or too long.

But, these general numbers aren't as good as the specific info that you'll get from your tire guy, so definitely seek him out and get the 411. If you have any questions about the warmers themselves, you can contact me here via PM, or through www.tenn2cycles.com

Thanks!

4. The_Jarhead

Thanks
    I picked up a bunch of these tires from someone on this board so I can't really go to "my" vendor. Most of my track days are done at JenningGP and the tire guy there doesn't see alot 16.5" tires so he doesn't have all the answers I'm looking for.

I'll go with the number you put up and see how things work out thanks again for the help.

5. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Are they current 420's or the eBay stuff that was available that is many years old.

FWIW - We don't sell current 420 stock to track day guys as a rule.

6. The_Jarhead

They are current 420's

BTT - SPORTBIKETIRESERVICE.com is not a valid website. you might to check and update that link.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  7. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Talk to Walt, he'll ive you the skinny