1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSXR 600 Engine Trouble

Discussion in 'Tech' started by JRA, May 28, 2007.

1. JRA

JRA Well-Known Member

It's a 2001 that I picked up over the winter to use as a back up bike. The thing runs great and made 101 hp at the wheel on a Dyno Jet dyno at my local bike shop. The problem I ran into this weekend while trying it out at a NESBA track day was the oil light kept coming on and it was giving a F1 or maybe it was a FI indication on the dash. It is filled to between the lines on the sight glass. I could turn the ignition off and the light would go out. I could go back on track for a couple of laps and then it would come on again. The engine feels just as strong as my other GSXR 600 that I normally ride, and if it weren't for the indicator light I would have no reason to suspect anything was wrong. I parked it after two sessions becasue it was messing with my head and I didn't want to blow up if something really is wrong. Just to be clear, I didn't just wring it's neck out there with the light on, I rode it hard until the light came on and then brought it in to the pits when the I saw the light. Everything looks tidy, no leaks, no funny smells, no strange noises.

Anybody ever have anything like this before or have some info that might help me out??

2. Smalls

Smalls 2012 Blue...

pull the oil pan and check the oil p/u and make sure there is no debris......

3. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

My 01 Gsx-R does the same thing. Its the power commander map I think. It happens to me if I open and close the throttle too fast. I can turn the switch off and back on and the light goes off.

4. medic0079

medic0079 Member

jump the pin and find out what code you have

5. JRA

JRA Well-Known Member

I'll need just a little more info on how to "jump the pin".:)

6. paul

paul just fast enough

That for us was usually the cam sensor or the throttle position sensor.

7. James White

James White GETTING OLDER AND FASTER!

my 06 did that at daytona.was a firmware prob. with pc3.did a reload on the computer and light stayed out.

8. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

remove the rear tail section on the left side of the rear wiring harness that leads to the tail light harness you will find a connector with a black cover, there is a 4 pin connector jump those 2 sine your problem is only at sped aver a certain period of time. leave the terminal connected as the Fi code appears you will see the code. It it's indeed a fi code no need to check the oil pan.