How do you Power slide into a turn?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by russeld, May 17, 2007.

1. russeld

russeld Well-Known Member

I'm very curious as to how people from this board can do this.

just having a lot of debates whether a rider uses alot of rear brakes or is it front brake while gasing it at the same time or is it a combination of squeezing everything the bikes got?

if anyone can post here explaining how its done that would be great.

if you have any good links one can read while sitting on the toilet please pass it on.

thanks

2. Moto.

Moto. Le' Moto

the clutch is pretty helpful ie compression locking. that is if you're slowing for the corner. if it's a corner that you don't need to brake for then generous amouts of throttle and technique will get it done.

you can also weight the pegs to encourage the bike to grip more or grip less. the inside peg will give you less grip while the outside peg will give you more grip.

just go try it, you'll figure it out.

:)

3. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Throttle and front brake on an SV650. I have no idea if this translates to bigger bikes. Small bike can never slow the rear tire if you want to go quick.

4. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Er...huh? Are you saying that you spin up the rear at a corner's entrance while on the brakes, so that when you let off, the tire is spinning and you're accellerating? I can't imagine that being possible with any sort of consistency, let alone effective.

To address the poster's question, it's not a 'power slide' that you're seeing. In most cases, the rider has downshifted to the gear needed at the apex, and is either manipulating the clutch or the slipper clutch is doing so, to drag the wheel a bit, facilitating the slide. Some folks add some back brake to this to get more granular control over it I think, and still others accomplish it mostly with the back brake.

I"m pretty sure nobody ever does it by spinning the back tire w. the throttle while also braking hard with the front brake, but I could be wrong.

5. Willybeen

Willybeen Well-Known Member

subscribed cuz i wanna know too... i have no desire to try it, just always wondered "hey how do they do that"

6. Joe Morris

You are wrong. :Poke:

7. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

8. NuttZ

NuttZ Well-Known Member

:stupid:

9. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

You know, that is a hell of a good question. I never though about the mechanics of sliding a corner. It's just something that you learn to do with hundreds of hours of practice. I think that when you go into a corner hard enough, and you're on the brakes really hard, the rear simply unloads enough that it steps out by itself as you start to make the turn. At that point in time you're beginning to roll on the throttle so, if you have enough engine to keep the rear wheel spinning, the rear will stay out. There is however, a hell of a thin line between successfully sliding the corner and having the rear pass you.
    I never tried using the front brake in the turn while applying throttle. Seems like a good way to have the front wheel wash out to me. I just don't know. Maybe that's why Rossi isn't worried about me. :D

10. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

A line that you've crossed a time or two in your decades of riding, eh Orvis?

11. DLIT

DLIT Well-Known Member

It is my belief that one has to be on high levels of crack-cocaine to do this maneuver. Much respect to those who can.

12. Joe Morris

It's really not a big deal. It's also not the fast way through many corners. It helps immeasurably to do this on a bike with a very flat torque curve. My teams 99 R6 highsided me to the moon a couple times for thinking about it. My SV, on the other hand, was no big deal. My 636 seems compliant as well.

For those that have been to VIR I will describe backing it into Turn 7: Coming under the bridge grab your downshift as usual but don't let off the throttle. Use the brakes to slow the front (and the bike to some degree) so the rear tire is spinning but the engine isn't banging the limiter. Turn in and as the rear tire begins to step out let off the front brake. As you gradually let off the front brake the bike will accelerate and the rear will stop spinning. You will have squared the turn at the entrance so very little lean angle will be required. You're also now on a hill which is slowing the front and this sometimes causes the back to continue to spin. Have the bike aimed right and be ready for a wheelie over the crest. There is very little margin for error and it's been impossible for me to pull this off in traffic.

I've done the same into Turn 4 but the returns aren't as great.

13. Arctic Donkey

Arctic Donkey Well-Known Member

Here's Xaus sliding using the rear brake.

Xaus.jpg

14. bigjoker247

bigjoker247 Well-Known Member

That pic rocks!!!! Thanks for the post.:up:

15. bigjoker247

bigjoker247 Well-Known Member

In my experiences of "Backing it in" it has happend with and without using the back brake. Coming into a superhard braking zone like turn 1 at summit usually I use the back brake just til the point the rear starts to come around then tip it in on the front brakes on and trail into the turn this is usually a smooth way to do it. On the other hand a mid to hard braking with a bumpy entrance or slight elevation change will cause the rear to go light while applying the front brakes only and the rear will lift up and step out.... this is in my experience is much more hard to control and can lead to a quick visit to the gravel trap and or hospital. The fastest way is usually in a strait line.

16. kaneohekid

kaneohekid Registered Abuser

17. SalKhan

SalKhan Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQF6L4qvAsE

I'm pretty sure it's clutch control, suspension, and the back wheel turning faster than the engine is turning (hard braking). It's why a slipper clutch makes it Less LIkely to happen, because the "slipper" detects the wheel sending torque back to the motor and disengages the clutch to let the wheel free spin.

But I have my Holiday Inn Express receipt in my wallet and I read the MotoGP Technology book.

18. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

Buy a XR100, put some flat track tires on it, and practice. The inputs are similar and it hurts a whole lot less when you fall. It's a pretty good workout, too. These guys can help you.

19. DeeZR6

DeeZR6 WERA BBS #1

+1 on the XR/CRF100 training or any MX bike for that matter. The little bikes are the easier way to learn it definitely, but on a full size 450 you actually have to deal with overwhelming power as well, so you learn a little better, but falling hurts a lot more (always a downside to an upside).

To answer the initial question though, backing it in on the corner entry is a combination of clutch, heavy braking, and A LOT of body english. On the exit it is mostly throttle inputs in where you overwhelm available traction just by a bit and then depending on what your end goal is (tighten your exit line, 'grab' traction to shoot out of the corner after the 'drift', etc) act appropriately. That fine line of highsiding and actually making it work how you want all without freaking out while riding, is why people that can do it effectively are some of the best riders in the world and make the big $$$. Me, I don't do it often other than for a hard pass on the brakes (roadracing) or in the dirt (where its pretty much the only way to effectively ride fast).

Damian

20. russeld

russeld Well-Known Member

NICE info guys!!..so i take it there are many ways of doing this. i'm hoping that most of the ways posted in this thread is the ACTUAL way(s) of power sliding it into a turn.... i'm not gonna try just yet but intime when my balls grow then one day...