Toy Haulers

Discussion in 'General' started by Buckwild, May 15, 2007.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, I'd need to have the ability to hang out, sleep, watch tv, whatever with the bikes in the trailer too. We spend a lot of nights in our stuff without unloading anything.

2. DeeZR6

DeeZR6 WERA BBS #1

Is there anything feasible for a toy hauler for under say 15K? Buying a seperate truck is already on the agenda but am looking to have something that is comfy and maybe works out to be cheaper than hotels for next year.

Damian

3. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Gotta be...mine is a 26' job, and it was $15k new. Check out Ebay for lots of listings.

4. ChainReactionR1

ChainReactionR1 Well-Known Member

1 word, Renegades

5. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

In something like a toyhauler, an individual's needs can dramatically alter what is ideal for them. Fortunately, there is a wide range of stuff to choose from from flatbed trailers with popups built on top of them to Peterbuilt-based luxo units with lift platforms in the back for the bikes.

My intended use is occasional; generally track days, race spectating and motorcycle-based vacationing. No kids, just the wife and I for the most part, with an extra sleeper rarely.

I've decided to go for a smaller travel-trailer, single-box design. This allows me to have a smaller tow vehicle, and is a good "sweet spot" for what we need and our occasional level of use.

A range of 15 ft to about 22 ft allows many choices in size, price, options and weight.

I've had an old Toyota pickup (1990) and a two-rail trailer up until now, so I'm doing things in steps. A few weeks ago I replaced the little Toyota with a big one, more suited to pulling the toyhauler.

So, now if something used comes up (after my bank account recovers), I'm ready to drive to where it is and pick it up.

My ideal choice would be something like the Weekend Warrior Supercross or the Shadowcruiser Funfinder XTRA, but there are so many deals out there on used ones, I'll just see what shows up for sale.

6. hamurobby

hamurobby matchd n staggerd special

I wanted to upgrade from a 24ft tag and 1500 truck for this year and got a 3 axle 44' fifth wheel race hauler and a 3500 6sp to pull it with. If I get to the track late or its raining I just hop in the living quarters, the back has enough room for a car (26ft) plus cabinets, and I can work on the bikes inside because there is so much room. it has a 22ft awning and full living quarters with a combo bath, stove fig, freezer dinette that converts to a bunk and a king sized bed on the goose neck and a gen set. :beer: . I paid 15.6k for it on ebay, its a 2003 and its great! When the back is unloaded (or not), we crank up the big industrial fan we bring (thinking about adding another ac/heater in the back) and have plenty of room to spread out, or we can get in the ac or heat in the living quarters. You can NEVER have enough room for your family or your stuff. And now I have a truck that I can do just about anything with, except park close at walmart.:D

The only thing I didn't get other than a rear ac, that now I see the benefit of, was electric landing gear. Manually cranking the landing gear up and down is a pita. :rolleyes: The rig, rolling at 68mph gets 13+mpg,(cummins power), 3mpg better than my previous combo. The truck actually steers better and rides smoother with the trailer attached, and its much more stable feeling than the 1500 with a 24ft tag, even with lift bars and sway control. So good I can steer with one finger. I pretty much have to get fuel at truck stops and have to plan accordingly, but I noticed now diesel is 25-35 cents cheaper than gas (again):clap: , Sooo thats like getting 15+mpg with a gas truck trailer. You have to swing WIDE or you will curb the trailer or clip cars, but you will get used to it after one trip.

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  7. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Ann and I have been looking seriously at the Keystone Outback Kargaroo 23 footer.
    [​IMG]

Info here.

Around $17~18k street price.

8. Triple Nickel

Triple Nickel Well-Known Member

I have been looking at the Hobbi models , they seem to be pretty nice for the price.

9. Quig

Quig Well-Known Member

I was really excited about the Hobbi when I first read about it.... until I went and looked at one.:Puke:

I think they hire blind 3rd graders to put them together with staple guns and bubble gum.:Poke:

I'm not kidding the damn things were sitting on the lot BRAND NEW and were falling apart.:down: I was really disappointed seeing as I thought the size/price/weight/features were a good combination.

10. Triple Nickel

Triple Nickel Well-Known Member

WOW , I haven't gone to look in person , just online. That's good to know , thanks.:up:

11. Quig

Quig Well-Known Member

No problem.:beer:

Seems Mr. "Dr. Thunder" (above) has one and is pleased with it but I just couldn't bring myself to look seriously at purchasing one after seeing the ones on the lot. I was really excited about them too. Hell, they were all over ebay for 12-15gs new at the time. I haven't seen as many lately...

12. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

I have never been a big fan of the toy haulers due to the mostly poor quality. They also do not have enough cargo space. We generally haul 6-8 bikes plus pit carts. So the 10 foot garage in the back of the toy hauler was no where near the room we needed.
    We went with a 44 foot express. It is built on a real trailer frame so it is much more suited to the rigiors of racing every other weekend. It has all the comforts of a toy hauler plus a few more. If you are looking for a race trailer the best place to find a really good deal is on racingjunk.com.
    My trailer will be for sale at the end of the year because I would like to move up to A 48-50 footer with slide outs. Our trailer is set up pretty well to race out of but with alot more racing in our future i would like a little more room in the living area.

Ab

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You need to switch to an RV or toterhome and a stacker.

14. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

If the other trailers in the same price range had any better build quality, I might have thought twice...but they were all pretty much in the same boat re: crappy wiring and shoddy fit and finish.

I've heard people say that when you get up into the $30,000 and up range they get alot better, but I didn't have the budget for that.

15. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

I gave that alot of thought. A toter with A well set up stacker would be a great set-up. We went an drove a few like yours, Really liked them, drove great, best of both worlds. There are quite a few really great deals out there on those types of haulers, the ones we looked at were around 150k. Maybe in a couple of years....:beer:

16. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

I still looking for a Winnebago priced right, sawsall the rear end and put a door, rip out the dinet set and build a garage.

A hoop-tee-fun-mover. :)

Winnebago - for $5K

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  17. Quig

Quig Well-Known Member

I hear ya....

I made the mistake of going through a lot of 'other' brands the day I looked at that Hobbi. It's really hard not to fall in love with some of the really nice (i.e. EXPENSIVE) ones. And they've got a financing scheme to make just about ANYTHING affordable. Of course, that's assuming you don't mind having a term longer than your mortgage.:crackup:

:beer:

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Or in our case payments higher than our mortgage (granted the term is shorter). Still not as much as hotel rooms.

19. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine basicly did that for his a few years back, and now it's for sale because he needs to upgrade.

20. tony715

tony715 Well-Known Member

glad to see this thread. i have been tossing around the idea of getting out of my RV and getting a toyhauler type. i found a campmaster predator (roundtop) 24' long with generator, living space, kitchen and bathroom area. divider wall with 12' of cargo area. E track on the walls, cabinets and a fold down bed in the cargo area in case your buddy snores!!!

should be showing up this friday!

i'll let you know how it all turns out.