1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MGP: whats the future of 125 & 250 ????

Discussion in 'General' started by adamysr, Apr 29, 2007.

1. adamysr

adamysr Well-Known Member

I was just wondering what everyone else's thoughts were on this subject... I think with in the next couple of years mgp will be 250 4strokes in the 125 class and a 440 or 450 in the 250 class, what do u guys think ???? Will they end up doing something like the 500's and the 990's mixed together or just make 4 strokes the only motor in mgp ??

We have already seen this happen in motocross, so is it going to happen in road racing ?? I also "heard" that honda and yamaha dont want to make 2 strokes anymore and want mgp to switch to 4 strokes in the support classes. Anyone else hear that ?? Anyways what do all u guys think ........

2. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

its inevitable. emissions and technology will lead the way

3. adamysr

anyone else ????

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The replacement for the 250 class seems inteesting but the 250 single class is gonna be the suck.

5. 418

418 Expert #59

I think it's more unpredictable then ever.

Four years ago I would have told you they're either going to all be four strokes, or someone is going to develop and successfully run a clean two stroke.

Now, the two strokes are dying out, there is no replacment, and the two stroke riders more then ever are dead set against going to diesels.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

But there are replacements. Aprillia is still producing them and KTM is talking about selling their 125. You can still get a TZ and Honder is still making RSs, at least for now.

Stupid hippy enviormental scare tactics. Screw the polar bears, if old people can learn to live in Miami the polar bears can.

7. 418

418 Expert #59

Yeah, but the TZ/RS development has stopped for at least two years now. I think some of the 250's have been the same since 2001...

I ain't got no $35K for the Aprillia either.

8. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

damn where can you get a Prilla for 35K?A decent year old Prilla 125 is around 35-40 k and thats pretty much just the bike with out many spares.

9. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

I thought I read that 125/250 were under contract with through 2017.

Someone recently started a thread in the GP forum about a 250 HRC four stroke which turned out to be bunk. I honestly don't think the technology is there yet to make a 55+hp four stroke 250 thats competitive with the 125's.

10. adamysr

i remember someone on this site saying that prilla was developing a 450 vtwin 4stroke gp bike ???? It might have been from a different site, but cant remember, anyone else hear that ??

On a different forum someone posted that 2strokes had to leave moto gp by a certain date, but he never said what the date was.......

11. Longwalkruben

Longwalkruben Well-Known Member

You have to remember we are in America so 2 stroke are probably dying out here but probably not in europe.

12. RumbleStrip

RumbleStrip Well-Known Member

The news out of Europe that I got and talked about on this weeks show, was that 08 is that last year for two strokes. In 09 every class will be a four stroke. 125's will be 200cc single cylinder machines, and the 250's will become 400cc twin cylinder machines.

Not to hard to figure out the math(s) on that one.

Honda will be OK, you have to wonder about Aprilia and KTM. Gilera and Derbi are just Aprilia's with different bodywork anymore.

13. adamysr

RumbleStrip,

What do u mean when u say u have to wonder about aprilla and ktm ??

Does anyone think that yamaha, suzuki and kawi will get involved in these classes once the 4 stroke regulation start up ???

14. RumbleStrip

RumbleStrip Well-Known Member

Yes I think they WILL get involved at some level. It's a great way for them to develop talent to bring up through the ranks and have some control over it.

As I said do the math. 200cc is 1/4 of a motogp engine, 400cc is half. The last time Aprilia tried to do a 4 stroke program for grand prix racing, it put them into bankruptcy. Can Aprilia and KTM afford to compete with the deep pockets of the Japanese?

15. adamysr

good piont, what about suzuki, yamaha, and kawi, do u think they will get involved in the moto gp support classes

16. I cant remember the specific years, but the rules have already been layed out as to when they will change to four strokes. If I remember correctly, the two classes will change over in two different years.

17. adamysr

on the the barf forum i posted this topic as well, one person is saying that 2 strokes are signed until 2014..... I dont really believe that personally but i could be wrong, 09 sounds more likely to me..