1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

different types of brake controllers?

Discussion in 'General' started by Rich, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Ok I posted once before about what kind to buy....the concesus seems to be Prodigy.

Just curious.....what are the difference between the different types? I hear of interia, timing, etc.......whats the difference?

2. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Do a search...I asked this questiojn a while back and got good feedback.

BTW if you see the Primus, it's the Prodigy w/o the self-leveling feature.

3. shakenbake

shakenbake Looking for my Burrow Owl

I have the primus and it works great. Looked at the Prodigy, but it was overkill for the trailer I'm pulling. Do yourself a favor and buy the premade wire adapter for your truck

4. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Dude, just buy something basic. You have a 14' trailer and an F250-its not like the truck is going to get run over by the trailer lol!

5. vcr12 pit crew

vcr12 pit crew Well-Known Member

go to peb boys/autozone and buy one...unless you are towing a 40 foot trailer there isn't too much difference...especially for a 14 trailer... they all do the same thing pretty much...

6. JeF4y

JeF4y Sweet Tea & Grits!

Personally I had a miserable experience with a Teknosha that went out on me. I was dragging my 23' trailer (combined weight of about 5000#) behind my half-ton conversion van THROUGH CHICAGO IN RUSH HOUR and the brake controller went out. It basically had 2 settings at that point. Lock 'em up, or OFF. It sucked...

I replaced it in Michigan with a Hoppy Impulse that has worked excellent ever since...

http://www.trailerwiring.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi?part=47235

7. Rhoades

Rhoades Well-Known Member

I have a F-250 and pull a 26 foot enclosed. I use a Tekonsha Voyager and have used it for about 2 years (1 on a Chev 1/2 ton, 1 on the Ford) w/o any problems. Like has been mentioned make sure you get the harness adapter for your veh. Makes the install a literal snap. Also makes it real easy to swap the controller over to another veh if you get a new tow rig.

8. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

You will get a significantly smoother braking action w. a good controller regardless of how big your trailer is. Besides, a Primus (for example) is a very good controller, and can be had for under $100...why bother with a cheapo? It's not like you have to spend $500 to get a decent one.

9. SOFG

SOFG Well-Known Member

I just installed a Hoppy in an 07 Avalanche and it's good so far. The wiring was a little confusing because the colors didn't match and the 07's are prewired so the premade connectors aren't available. CMP tomorrow is the first test.

10. luckyhat12

luckyhat12 Silly Blue Rider

I had the Draw-Tite Activator II for a long time before I bought a new truck. I really liked pulling with it because it wasn't inertia driven and I could tell the trailer how much I wanted it to brake.

I have a Tekonsha Voyager now and I don't really care for it. (It was already wired to match my new truck and was sitting on a shelf for free) I will proably either step up and get the prodigy or go back to a non inertia driven box. That is just my personal preference.

11. RFairbairn

RFairbairn Well-Known Member

+1 for the Prodigy, I've had two of them. Go to their website, I think they explain the difference.

12. Super Dave

Super Dave Exhausted and Abused

I used to sell trailer and install controllers.

Saw failures in some Tekosha's. But it seems like the Prodigy is a quality unit.

We sold, installed, and used a lot of Draw Tite controllers. Simple and reliable. My current controller in my short bus is from 2000 when I had it in my smaller van. A lot of miles, a lot of time.