Suspension tuning books?

Discussion in 'General' started by gixxersmitty, Apr 4, 2007.

1. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

Anybody know of any good books on suspension set up and tuning? I'd like to learn how to properly tune my own suspension. I'm not really looking to tear anything apart or start tuning suspensions as a business, I'd just like to get a better idea of how things work and how I can adjust it myself to get the most out of it.

2. Mojo

Mojo Big Swinging Member

3. Bob E.

Bob E. _________________________

Here is a link to an online suspension guide that explains some of the basics.
    http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0006_susp/

I read somewhere about a fellow that offers a suspension guide on DVD. He teaches how to read the wear on your tires to help fine tune your suspension. I wanted to order it but lost the link.

The best advice I got was from Thermosman after he went through my suspension. He took the time to explain setup concepts. He also advised for me to try small changes in one area at a time while at a track day. That's the only way to really understand what to look for and which way it needs to go.

4. Brian811

Brian811 ....

5. gixxersmitty

Thanks guys. :up:

6. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

If you have a Penske shock their manual is pretty useful (even if you don't it's pretty useful). It will help you understand what happens internally when you turn the knobs.
    Wilburs (German shock company) has a book out as well. I don't know anything about it but it may be another source to look at.

7. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

no one really knows....it's all just voo-doo.

8. gixxersmitty

I'm just not one to take the approach of messing with things and see what happens. I also dont have the cash to have someone else do it. I figure I'll do some reading and learn how to do it myself. Thanks for the replys guys.

9. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I recently bought this DVD. It’s very informative but at a novice suspension tuners level. Personally I learned a lot but can see that I need to get more detailed and advanced information to make it useful for me at the track.

As a whole, it's a great DVD and I recommend it to get you started.

10. nationalchamp99

nationalchamp99 Well-Known Member

Road Racing World had an article by Army of Darkness with a quick reference guide in it...ie...if you bike runs wide- do this. If the front chatters- do this. I keep a copy in my tool box but am too adept to mess with it.

I'll be dropping some $$$ with Mike (aka Thermosman) next year. Every time he touches my bike I go 2 seconds faster. Mike is the bodisafa of suspension...

I'm not worthy.

11. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, the more you learn about suspension the more you will realize you don't know.

12. Rich SmithMoore

Rich SmithMoore Well-Known Member

SAE bookstore will sell you a nice book on shock absorber design. About an 1-1/2 thick. Mostly for car guys but damping is damping and it'll give you some important background for the bike specific stuff. Help you sort the voodoo from the science too.