1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cool-ish family sedans for under 30k

Discussion in 'General' started by (diet)DrThunder, Mar 19, 2007.

1. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

See my post re: Merc...I've already subjected myself to VW ownership a couple of times, and I'm not interested in doing it again.

Very cool, fun-to-drive car that was at the dealer quarterly to fix the 12 electrical things that had stopped working since the last visit. Once I trained myself to thing of the "check engine" light as mood lighting, I was alot happier with it.

To be fair, nothing _bad_ ever went wrong...but both the Golf and the Jetta were annoying like that.

2. zracer196

zracer196 Well-Known Member

I have tried and tried in years past by buying American...Still sub-par in comparison IMO...Quality is not there...And the service (treatment) is terrible.
    I have been spoiled by owning Inifiniti, Honda, (even Isuzu when it was Isuzu)...Just tried a Ford Exp. last year but traded it in for a Pilot after two brake jobs and three a/c units (under warranty but what a pain). JUNK.

The American cars have come a long ways...But are not a match yet...So why buy one yet...

BUT then again, someone has to support them...

Seriously, get what you like...Good luck!

I had a 2004 Mazda 6 with the V6 / 5sp...Pretty fun car too...

3. RumbleStrip

RumbleStrip Well-Known Member

CPO Acura TL, can't go wrong

The new Saturn Aura XE is a pretty nice car and fits in your price range.

Saab 9-2 is the Subie WRX with an much nicer interior. Saab dealers are also puttin a lot of cash on the hood to move them.

4. (diet)DrThunder

Really??? A Saab is a Subaru? Interesting...I need to re-subscribe to C&D ...I'm really slipping re: knowing what's goin' on in the car world.

Also, I just saw an ad for the Aura last night, adn I thought it looked pretty nice. Thanks!

5. Spicoli

Spicoli Cannoli Owned

Okay, the warranty won't happen with this one, but at half of your budget, you'd have the other $11 - $12K to sit on and earn interest and dip into as you needed parts...

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=133837

And no, I'm not the one selling, I just saw the ad and thought of this thread. :up:

6. RumbleStrip

RumbleStrip Well-Known Member

The 9-2 was a rebadged WRX, they redid the interior to a much nicer spec.

One of my buddy owns one, that's the only reason I know.

7. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

Not sure how soon you're looking to buy, but I plan on getting a Pontiac G8...

[​IMG]

Rear wheel drive and a 6 speed manual....

V6 or V8 with 362 HP.

8. rotorblade

rotorblade Well-Known Member

Didn't read all of this so i might be rrepeating something. Subaru GT Limited Legacy; slightly larger than a WRX, sportier styling (I think), and a turboed 2.5 making 250 but still gets mid 20s gas milage.

9. jcrojas

jcrojas Well-Known Member

VW -- sucks electrically.

BMW -- I loved mine, minimal problems up to 200k (a radiator, a few sets of brakes, transmission seals).

Infiniti -- I love my I30 -- it's got almost 150k and I haven't put a penny into it except for oil changes and tires.

If I were in your situation and had your budget, I'd probably look at a certified pre-owned 2 or 3 y/o luxury sedan (Infiniti, then BMW, then Lexus).

http://www.caranddriver.com/carbodystyles/sedan/

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  10. R1ZOOM

R1ZOOM Well-Known Member

Dave I drive a Dodge Charger PI patrol car with the Hemi. It has about 10K miles on it now. It has been a great car so far. It is far superior to the Crown Vic PI in every way, including fuel economy. The Hemi is rated at 18/25. I don't think it will see that kind of mileage unless a grandma is driving it, but I will say it averages probably 15-16mpg for me with a lot of idling and police driving and a LED lightbar and spotlight creating drag. I work for the county, but it overlaps a very urban area, so sometimes I'm on the interstate, sometimes city streets with a lot of stop lights, and sometimes out on county roads. I'm very heavy footed and like playing with the car. On the highway if you keep it under 80 I feel quite certain you would average better than 20mpg. Whoever told you 10mpg was full of crap. At highway speeds the 5.7 Hemi switches into its MDS mode and runs on 4 cylinders for much better fuel economy. I have often said if I didn't drive this patrol Charger I'd love to have a civilian Charger, preferably an SRT8, but an RT would be OK too. The 5.7L Hemi has been rated one of "Ward's 10 Best Motors" every year since it's introduction in 2003. This is a very noble distinction. Also, the transmission is pretty much a Mercedes Benz part. It is built in Germany and imported over for the assembly line. Stability control is standard, and add available side curtain airbags and you have a very safe and cool car. You should be able to get one for very vlose to your budget, if not under it.

I vowed to never own another Chrysler product again after a few bad experiences years ago, but they have really turned around in the past few years. These LX series cars are very solid and dependable. I have even grown very fond of the new Dodge HD trucks...but my 06 F-250 will be paid for in 3 years so I'll keep it for now. I think the Charger RT would be a good choice for you, especially if you can find a demo. The gas mileage should be a lot better than what you are thinking.

Ward's link:

http://wardsauto.com/reports/2007/tenbest/

Hemi Review:

http://wardsauto.com/reports/2007/tenbest/daimlerchrysler_5-7L_turbodiesel/

11. (diet)DrThunder

RE-EE-EE_EE_EE-eally...

15mpg while performing as a patrol car??? Over 20mpg on the freeway? For real?

Uh...I thihnk I know what I'm doing tonight...I'm gonna go drive one of those sumbiches. Thanks for the tip!

12. (diet)DrThunder

BTW I was at the Dodge dealer yesterday, adn they have a new loeft-over 05 (really) Magnum 3.5L AWD that I could probably steal. I know the AWD is needless weight and probably reduces MPG< but what do you guys think about that car? I'm not familiar at all with the Dodge AWD system, or how cars drive with it. Any known-bad stuff about these cars?

13. R1ZOOM

R1ZOOM Well-Known Member

Yeah, 15 is about my average, sometimes a little less if I do a lot of in town stop and start driving with not much county road driving or highway. If I go on a trip it obviously gets better. I serve on the board of directors for a state law enforcement organization, and when i take my car to meetings it gets about 18-21 at "cruising speed" on the interstate with lightbar and spotlight drag. That's why I say if you keep it under 80 or so you should probably get around 20 or better. From what I'm told the MDS kicks off and you go back to 8 cylinders when you exceed 78 mph, although I can't say for sure if this is correct or not, because the transition is seamless, you can't feel it.

14. (diet)DrThunder

Hey, I"m willing to pay the price in MPG if I want to go 85 on the highway. I just want the option to take it easy and have it do _ok_ is all. Thanks again!

15. R1ZOOM

R1ZOOM Well-Known Member

I'd steer clear of the AWD unless you drive in the snow a lot. Also, the difference in mpg between the 3.5 and 5.7 is not a whole lot, I'd much rather have the 5.7. The fuel difference is not worth the power loss. Personally I don't really like the Magnums. I think of them as a souped up station wagon, and I'm not a fan of station wagons.

On a side note, my dad bought a 06 Maxima 3.5 SE loaded out. I tried to talk him into a Charger RT. After he rode in my Charger he said he wished he would have bought a Charger instead. He really likes my patrol car, and everyone that has ridden in it really likes it. A lot of the guys in Crown Vics have been trying to talk their way into Chargers lol. It will tear up an 07 Crown Vic PI (don't ask me how I know) in acceleration, top speed, handling, comfort, features, and basically every other way possible. The only thing the Crown really has on it is a bigger trunk.

16. (diet)DrThunder

Ya I wouldn't even consider the AWD here in TN if there weren't extenuating circumstances (leftover '05 for ultra-cheap).

I'm gonna go check out an R/T tonight...they have like 10 of 'em on the lot (and only a couple 6's)

17. TwoRs

TwoRs Well-Known Member

The new Altima for the money is hard to beat...It is on a new platform and is very tight. Interior is clean and well laid out. If you want go fast get the VQ-V6. CVT tranny is pretty cool and great mileage. It fits the numbers you offered.

We have owned Acura, VW, Audi, Honda, Nissan, Infinity, GM, GMC...in the past 10 years.

I just went through the whole car shopping thing for the daughter and wifes replacements....similar numbers to keep in budget.

The Honda is stone reliable with either the V6 or I4...the Camry is a turd with the I4 but OK with V6...both properly serviced will last beyond what normal people will want to drive.

Subies are fun but the interior needs work and they have a limited dealer network and insuring them due to limited numbers can be more than you think.

Mitsu....not for me, they need work.

Chrysler is better than it used to be but if you have to have it serviced...well it is all about the dealer service dept. .....no way it is in the same conversation as the Jap stuff.......good luck!

The G35 is a rocket ship with the auto...get the S with the auto and go look for a twisty road, you will not be disappointed!!!! It is a 4 wheeled sport bike!
    Of all the cars I have owned this one is the best bang for the buck ever! Go take a test drive and let us know what you think...bet you come away with a BIG grin! Even it you don't buy it you will remember the ride if they let you really drive it!:beer:

18. wera516

wera516 I am not BC61

I would have to go with a 2 year old AUDI A6 that is Factory Certified to 100k miles bumper to bumper. Save tons of cash over a new car and they are freakin awesome. Tons of power and fun as hell to drive. A New car of anykind comes with either 3yr 36k or a 5yr 60k warranty. By a Audi with 20K miles on it and you get 6yr 80k bumper to bumper and you wont pass yourself on every corner while driving down the road.

I also have access to them and can save you tons of money and have it shipped to you.

19. Mojo

Mojo Big Swinging Member

Even the ones who rode in the back? :eek:

20. wera516

wera516 I am not BC61

SAAB is owned by General Motors and has been for years.