1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ktm Duke Ii /lc4 Engine/carb Help Needed

Discussion in 'Tech' started by YAMAHOLIC, Mar 8, 2007.

1. YAMAHOLIC

YAMAHOLIC Well-Known Member

:confused: I HAVE A 2002 KTM DUKE WITH 3000 MILES . I STARTED HAVING PROBLEMS CRANKING IT OVER THE PAST FEW RIDES LAST YEAR. NOW THE BIKE WILL NOT CRANK . IT KEEPS TURNING OVER AND OVER BUT WILL NOT FIRE UNLESS I TURN THE GAS OFF AND LEAN THE BIKE ALL THE WAY OVER TO DRAIN THE GAS OUT OF THE ENGINE. IT WILL THENK CRANK FOR A FEW SECONDS AND KILL. HAS ANYONE HAD THESE PROBLEMS WITH THERE LC4 ENGINE? ALSO WHEN THE ENGINE IS SPINNING IF I TOUCH THE GAS OR CHOKE IT WILL QUIT SPINNING. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT.

THANKS
    KEVIN
    [email protected]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  2. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Sorry....I couldn't hear what you were saying as it was too loud.

3. YAMAHOLIC

ktm

Could it be that the intake valves are too tight?

4. alpinestars260

alpinestars260 supermoto Member

kevin, it might be that check that the valves have a 20 mm or so gap i think.. check that the spark plug wire is not loose and replace the spark plug(there like 3$ i think) i have a some problems with it cutting off and it was that the spark plug connecter was barely on. Oh you didnt fill it up with diesel? i've heard of guys doing that too:)

5. YAMAHOLIC

help

I have a guy checking out the valves today. I didnt check the spark plug wire though. I will for sure check that out . Thanks John

Kevin

6. UGA Dawg

UGA Dawg Fertile Member

I had the same bike, a green one. I would say to check the easy things first. As has been said. Start with replacing the plug and checking the plug wire. Also check it at the connection with the coil. The next thing I would check would be for trash in the float bowl and/or a blockage in the main and pilot jets. Just take em out and hit em with some compressed air. How long has been since you rode it and did it sit in storage over the winter? Could just be bad gas. When you pull the plug out, you should have some answers to some of these possibilities.

The valves should be fine. I wouldn't think that they would alter position as I believe they are shim over bucket and shouldn't move with that few miles.

BTW, let me know when you want to do the snorkelectomy and open up the pipes. There's a shop in daytona that specialized in open up the flow on these things and it did wonders for low end grunt on mine. Also gave it a sexy little brap brap sound. I miss that bike. That f-ing thing is a hoot short of the hooliganism it brings out for the Po-Po.:D