Buying a new bike - what's a good price?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sean Jordan, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

A colleague said he uses MRSP-15% as a good "base value."

What do you guys think?

2. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

sounds like that would be a really good deal,but I havent bought a brand new big bike in years

3. Trent

Trent I just wanna ride motorcycles and eat pizza

In NorCal you pay whatever price the dealer says it is and you might be able to negotiate a free crappy helmet or a disc lock.

4. carpediem

carpediem Well-Known Member

i work at a dealership and from what i've seen ( and sold) the negotiation on sportbikes is really based off of what you're wanting to buy. Some bikes we would dang near give away and others you're getting a great deal if you get $100 taken off. A lot of dealerships have gotten so bad w/ the fees that you're lucky to just pay retail.
    like i said before it's really based off what you're buying.

5. Sean Jordan

I'm looking for an '07 SV1000S in black (though I'd consider an '06 if the deal was sweet enough) in the NoVa area (willing to drive an hour or so, again, if the deal is good.)

So far I've heard base prices ranging from $7595 or MSRP ($8699.)

6. coferj

coferj Well-Known Member

Good Price? Free? lol

Seriously, if you post up a bike or two that you're thinking about, these guys may be able to give you a better idea.

When I bought my '14, they were just out and many dealers were not going to get but maybe 2-5 that year. I got out for $500 below msrp w/tank bag. I just went in, told them I had everything ready to go, all they had to do was get right on the price. I told them I wasn't adding up for all the fees. You can charge them, fine, but I'm not paying list plus fees. First dealership didn't want to work, so I traveled about 40 mins south, got what I wanted.

Just can't be too eager to buy, and don't be scared to price shop. There will be a dealer that's hungry and willing to wheel and deal.

7. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

sean-

SV1K's are all over ebay, brand new. if Loudoun Motorsports has one, I'd think they'd match $$$ just to move the inventory...

they were pretty good on my '02 SV650 FWIW

8. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

Taking it racing are ya??? :)

9. Sean Jordan

Checked with them a week or so back - nuthin'. :(

Mmm....prolly not. Maybe some track days, but I'm looking for primarily a street mule. I occasionally entertain the idea of a proper sport bike, but if I decide to log some long days (500+ miles) I'm thinking I'd be better of with the SV.

Really, my CBR1000F was perfect, ergonomically speaking. I'd like something with similar-to-more motor and a lot less weight. Last time I dyno'd the CBR (many moons ago) it was making 112hp, 65 ft-lbs of torque. (Similar to an SV.) However, the SV is at least 125-150 lbs lighter . . .

10. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

You need a Busa!!!!

:)

11. nationalchamp99

nationalchamp99 Well-Known Member

I've been quoted about $50 cheaper but that is an out the door price...no set up or BS fees + Georgia Sales tax...gotta pay the man.

12. Sean Jordan

Hmm.....still lighter than the CBR! (But ~60 lbs more than the SV!)

Lotsa power on tap, though!

13. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

Sean, is Alabama to far for you to go? I have a dealer buddy who will sell you one at invoice. Someone above posted m.s.r.p -15%, that's pretty spot on it seems.

14. Sean Jordan

Oh, it's only 700 miles or so . . . :P

15. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

So that's what.........like a twelve pack or somethin? (not d.u.i of course)

16. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

SV1K's are not popular (and that's putting it lightly). You should be able to find one for a considerable discount. Survey Ebay and Cycle Trader to get an accurate cross-section of bargain-basement pricing.

Alternately, if service is important enough to you to attach value to it, find out what a local dealer w/ a good service rep wants for the bike, and if it's =[ to the lowball price + value-of-service, then buy it there.