should i buy or gp when i have a sv???

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by svdale, May 21, 2002.

1. svdale

svdale That's my Baby

i have a sv i am setting up for racing, love building it, my first race bike, but im starting to like the gp bikes, watching the races and i would love to work on one and build it, and of course race it, my question is , am i crazy for wanting a sv and a gp bike to build and race or is this normal, thanks Dale:confused:

2. Weezer # 1

Weezer # 1 250 GP'er

saying

Someone once said......
    "It is better to have GP'd and lost, then to have never GP'd at all"

But that's not saying the SV is not a good bike to make a track bike. Maybe easier to learn on.

EK

3. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member

I just bought an SV

It's for the street. It's a great bike, but in no way handles as sharply as a GP. Of course, I've yet to do anything to it, it ain't even broke in. Just got it today. But, I suggest you go for it. You'll be amazed at the handling, don't get no better. It's hard keeping up with two bikes, though, and racing both on race day.

4. TZ925

TZ925 I do it for His glory!

Go GP! You'll always be able to take the headlights off of something and call it a "racebike". Very few can say they race a true GP bike.

I'm riding with an endurance team on a SV650 and not to knock it but it is ain't a GP bike, thats for sure. This year I've been 5-7 seconds a lap faster on my TZ than the SV at North Florida and Putnam. I'm figuring I'll be about 6 seconds slower on the SV at VIR this weekend.

Call me if you want help, need advice. I'm in Frederick.
    I also know a guy selling my old '94 TZ250 cheap, like $4k.

Monty Warsing
    Expert #925

5. TZ925

Re: saying

That was me and it is 110% true!

Monty

6. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Re: Re: saying

Whats up Monty, I agree...GO GP! The GP bikes, either 125 or 250, will teach you more than what a 600 bike. More feedback, passing, turning, etc....GO GP

7. TZR250411

TZR250411 Well-Known Member

GP is the best

I recently sold my 250 and now i regret it. i bought a 750 to race and just cant come to turms with it. The gp bike is the best way to go. You can buy a street bike and call it a race bike but it will never be a REAL race bike. GP is the only way to go.:mad: :mad:

8. svdale

svdale That's my Baby

What would be a good first bike and what are the price ranges on buying one, thanks Dale

9. TZR250411

TZR250411 Well-Known Member

how tall? how much so you weigh?

10. Rafiq

Rafiq 2 Smoker!

Hey Sil, Rob's selling his RS125 if you want a 125 after you sell your 750.

11. TZ925

A decent 93-96 TZ250 with a moderate spares kit should be $4-7K depending on condition and what spares it has.

12. svdale

svdale That's my Baby

im 6'0 and 140lbs without gear im guessing about 155lbs with gear, is there a website where i can get some pics of bikes and read some info, thanks Dale

13. Bill Cole

Bill Cole Well-Known Member

Dale, It isnt even close. Gp bikes are amazing and the people that ride them are more serious. Look at www.fatbaq.com Very good site for 125's. For your size I would recomend a post 95 RS.

Bill Cole

14. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

I am 5'10 and about 175 and I ride a 125. Fairly fast but not the fastest out there, got smoked by a 225+ rider over 6'3 at NPR this year. I would start with a 125, the power will suprise you!

www.gpstar.net can get you in a package to suit you. mention that I sent you and recieve 10% of GP Star products.

You can catch me at the WERA Nationals as well, bike #15 yellow and black.

15. ACSrace

ACSrace Member

Yep here's the info (bike is located in Denver)
    1996 RS125 for sale, carbon front fender, carbon airbox, modified carb, FCC dry clutch, marchesini wheels, WGP spec front caliper, custom triple clamps, carbon/kevlar silencer(Mmax), B-kit cylinder, gearing, jetting, spare head and cylinder clutch baskets, coil, three weekends on engine (have fresh topend to put in) $5000/obo pic http://www.siteanswers.com/racing/photo/2001_05_19/1/DSCF0053.JPG (the black one)
    email [email protected]

16. RB

RB Well-Known Member

From my own experience I would say finish the SV, do your school and at least 4 or 5 race weekends and then think about getting the 2stroke.

At a school you will have no time to be fooling with jetting or gearing or mixing fuel etc. Plus your brain will be over loaded with inputs and there will be few neurons left for trying to learn how to ride a whole new type of handling and power characteristics.

The button start is also a big help to a newbie.

Ray

17. 250guy

250guy Well-Known Member

Go GP real race bikes don't come with horns.

18. Davidvmi91

Davidvmi91 Well-Known Member

I went through this

I went through this same debate before this season. This is my first race season and I was stuck between wanting to buy a RS125 and a SV650. I choose the RS125 and I am glad I did. I am learning a TON and gaining a lot of confedence on the track. One thing I had to do was switch my street bike to a GP shift, that pattern is hard to get used to, at least it was for me.

As far as investment, I paid $4,000 for a 1995 RS125 in great shape with a new top end, fairly new tires, a spare set of wheels with rain tires and roters, and a bunch of spares.

That is my 2 cents

David

19. jf

jf Active Member

Willard Ivins who is almost 195 lbs was right in the thick of it at Willow and qualified on the front row in really good company (including Quentin Wilson, Eric Dadej, etc.) and placed third in a race where Dadej was running lap record laps for 1/2 of the 18 lap race. (don't hurt me for saying this bill) Cole is no lightweight either and he's 2nd in the USGPRU Eastern Region Standings now and there are tons of heavier guys being real competitive.

Get a good powerjet bike of recent vintage and ride the piss out of it. You'll wonder what took you so long to make the switch to real purpose built race bikes.

jf

20. Bill Cole

Bill Cole Well-Known Member

No LIGHTWEIGHT !!! LOL.. Well for the record I am 160lbs. I think the height issue is more important than the weight. You can spring the bike for anyones situation. I think that 200lbs is MAX.

Bill Cole