1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A severe dusting

Discussion in 'General' started by Orvis, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Having been born and raised in West Central Texas exposed me to some strange weather when I was young but today I'm seeing something that hasn't happened in the last 40 or so years. I live West of Fort Worth about 15 miles and right now I'm watching Midland/Odessa go blowing by still headed East. I figure that part of New Mexico will get here in about 4 hours.
    The wind is blowing from the West at a sustained 35 to 40 mph with gusts to about 50. The sky is a dusty red/brown color with visibility at about 1/8th mile, and I'm actually wearing a dust mask as I type this post. It difficult to breath without it. Really weird. :wow:

2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I hear that... I was in Las Colinas for an OUTSIDE event today and we could not cancel since so many folks had come in from a long way away.

It was NUTS! A freaking 50Ft flagpole fell on some guy's Tahoe... He was PISSED!!!!

BTW--- If you ever need to rent a tent in the Dallas area, rent it from Ducky Bobs. The thing snapped, crackled, & popped, but it stayed on its moorings.

I work with a dog rescue group most Saturdays, and we have about 20 of those fold up crates. On my way home, I noticed so many blown down fences that I figured the local Animal Control was having a hell-day. You should have heard the relief in their voices when I called & offered them use of our crates!!!

3. Roger@Arroyo

Roger@Arroyo Well-Known Member

It blew through here yesterday, down to 25mph winds today. Kinda ruined the riding, dodging all the tumbleweeds blowing across the track and all.

4. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think that what you saw blowing thru Cruces yesterday was Demming. I believe it was Cruces that came thru here this afternoon. :D

5. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Better the guy's tahoe than the guy. He really would have been pissed then.
    Back during the early 1950's we used to have some really bad dust storms come thru central Texas. That was during a fairly prolonged drought. We also had what were called "Blue Northers" come thru during the summer. The Northwestern sky would turn really dark and when it hit the wind would be extremely cold. The temp would go from about 100 degrees to 35 or 40 degrees then back to 100 in about one hour. It was bizarre.
    Loaning those crates to the shelter was a great act. Good for you.:up:

6. GSXR6Pilot

GSXR6Pilot Well-Known Member

I'm in Altus, OK (TDY, I wouln't live in this shite hole by choice!) and the wind is a BLOWIN!!! 46mph sustained gust up to 50 something. Can't see but a 1/2 mile, and then my wife locks me out! WTF! I have dirt in my ears, not on my ears, but in my ears...

7. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

I'm about an hour northeast of Knoxville Tennessee and the wind blew so hard here that the stop lights were swinging out to a point that you almost couldnt see them. I was stopped at one and I could hear dust and small debris sand blasting the side of my truck.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Gee all of this sounds like Fontana in January (except we were pretty much dust free).

9. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

You should live here. Living in Texas can sometimes be a blast. (literally):up:

10. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

True story. When I was about 7 or 8 I had this friend that was really, really from the sticks. (15 miles out in the country) He literally took a bath once per week. One time he was complaining about his ear hurting to the teacher and when she looked there was a cotton seed sprouting in there. After that my mom would ask me if I had washed my ears when I showered because she didn't want to see any cotton crops growing in there. :crackup: