1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

O/T Jet Engines

Discussion in 'General' started by GixxerBlade, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

F1.

2. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

OK it passed today even though it was like 35 degrees outside. +2 HP over the limit of what it was designed for (weak engine but I'll take it) BUT it now has high lube pressure. :( Can't win with this engine.

3. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I won!!! Engine passed finally!!! Whewhoo!!!!

4. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Hope you don't charge shop rate. They could have bought a new engine for the bucks they paid for labor. :Poke: :D

5. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Yeah only 11 test cell runs and about 2000 manhours. LOL

6. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

For future reference:
    [​IMG]
    :D

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  7. g1k

g1k Well-Known Member

So what was the problem(s)?

R

8. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

I can't believe i missed this thread! I'm curious as to what caused the engine to be down 250hp tho!

9. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Turbine nozzle areas were changed drastically. We were T5 limited which is like saying that if you run this engine any hotter I'm going to blow myself up so what I had to do was figure out how to change the nozzle areas in such a way that I cool it down so I can spin it faster so it can run hot again, get it? We want the turbine spinning as fast as you can to compress more air to spin the turbine faster to compress more air to spin the turbine faster to compress more air to spin the turbine faster to compress more air to spin the turbine faster to compress more air :D...It's not an exact science especially with temperatures (OAT) in the 30's which requires the engines to produce more horsepower than say on a nice warm summer's day because the air is denser. Get it Nick?

10. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

so your nozzle area was too small?

11. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

No. It was the right size....according to the engineers. :rolleyes: We have 4 stages of turbine nozzles. Two to direct hot air to the gas generator that powers the compressor rotor and two to direct the remaining hot air to the power turbine (which powers a gearbox which turns a rotorhead on a helo)So typically you would want smaller nozzles with the gas generator to speed the compressor rotor faster and larger nozzles with the power turbine to keep it cool so you don't reach that dreaded temperature limit. Imagine a nozzle to be like your garden hose nozzle, the smaller you make the hole the faster the water streams out.

12. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

so is it a "freepower" turbine or is the shaft directly connected?

13. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

free spinning power turbine yes.

14. racer_11

racer_11 moto nyne guy

i worked on army turbine engines for years. said, screw that, working on my dirt bikes got me my $weet tech rep job!!! pioneer uav's rule!!! (and i make sure i'm never around, that's what they teach ya in school!!!!) ha! ha!!!