1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie to the scene...where to next

Discussion in 'General' started by kerrycorcoran, Feb 8, 2007.

1. kerrycorcoran

kerrycorcoran Well-Known Member

Ok, last fall my buddy talked me into going watch him run at a track day. Well we show about 10 minutes before the shut down, but it was long enough. I knew I had to try this stuff; regardless if I never get past track days, just being able to run unrestricted on an open track is AWESOME! So as soon as I got home I began looking and buying parts to build my track bike. Kept a web log of the project, hit my site, http://www.skurz.com - click the 2005 GSXR Racer link.

Now that the season is nearing (not quite, but I am anxious) what should I do next to be prepared? Do I just go to the track on an open day? Is there a recommended class? I can see myself wanting to advance and I want to do this right, so any insight that you vets can offer is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kerry

2. Rhoades

Rhoades Well-Known Member

Where are you from?

3. CATMAN

CATMAN Well-Known Member

BUY my 05 1k front wheel,and rotors for spares and rain tire setup!! $290 shipped usa :rock:

4. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

I can't tell from your post whether or not you've actually run an open track day. If not then that's where to go next. The more track time you have under your belt the better, but at least two or three track days would be highly recommended before you go for a racing license.

After that you take an approved racing class, get your license and start racing.

If you don't mind the "baptism in fire" approach you can get some track time under your belt, sign up for the WERA racing school (available in conjunction with most WERA events, last time I checked it cost $60). If you pass the class you get a Provisional Novice license (costs $100). You can then (generally) race the next day in one or more of the sprints. When you get your Provisional Novice license you have to complete at least one event in two different race weekends in order to advance to full Novice class. During your provisional period you're supposed to wear a tee-shirt over your leathers so other racers know you're a newbie racer. Also if you crash during either of those two racing weekends while riding as a provisional novice you don't get your license. You have to start all over by going to class again.

Otherwise you can take Ed Bargy's (or another qualified) racing school (which is considerably more expensive) but once you pass it you're a full novice in one weekend. It's my personal opinion that the pure educational benefit of the other racing schools is considerably higher than the WERA school. In the WERA school you'll be exposed to the essentials: rules, flags, start/finish procedures, and maybe a few things about technique, but basically it's just a way to make sure that you're a skilled enough rider that you can ride at speeds reasonably close to those of real racers without being an obvious threat to everyone out there. Ed Bargy's school (and others) is a more comprehensive school, where you get all the essentials plus other useful technique pointers to help you become competitive more quickly.

I'm not trying to sell either method over the other. Personally I took the WERA school. There are valid arguments to be had for doing it either way.

It would also probably be a REAL GOOD idea to go to a race event or two and hang out with some friends all day in the paddock. It gives you a chance to see how things are done and be better prepared for that first time you're in the thick of it yourself.

Best wishes on your upcoming first racing season! I jumped into it in June of last year, so all the confusion about what to do next is still real fresh on my brain. :beer:

ETA: I tried clicking on your link (http://www.skurz.com/) but I get a "Page cannot be displayed" error.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  5. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

^ good post.

My personal thought are try and do a year of track day riding to really get some experience at "near" race speeds.

Personally...jumping quick into racing...you're asking for trouble, especially if you can't contain your emotions well!

6. kerrycorcoran

Guys,

Thanks for all the input. At this point I have NOT done a track day. I guess I should clarify, I want to learn to become a racer. So this season I plan on just hitting "track day"; sorry for any confusion, I wasn't sure of the proper terms. I agree, I would be better off hitting several track days first...course I usually get so wrapped up in things I am sure I'll be hitting several track days this season - maybe towards the end of the season I'll be ready to try for a class. Who knows.

I am located in Lincoln, Ne - the track I went to is located in Iowa about 75 miles from my home. I just heard from my buddy they may not have track days there this season :( I have also heard of a track that is to open near Hastings, Ne - about 90 miles from my home. Either way I am getting in track time this year.

In regards to my site, I have contacted the ISP Host service and they are working on the issue now. Once resolved I will follow up.

Thanks,
    Kerry

7. ishc

ishc Well-Known Member

dont build ur own bike.. buy CHIPS KWS race bike and just go to the track... LOL

8. kerrycorcoran

:D Actualyl, part of the fun for me is building the bike. Unfortunately I have already built the bike (built in a few weeks during the fall) and now it just sits in the garage freezing waiting for the warm weather to arrive! :D

9. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Go to a school and learn how to ride properly...nothing harder than someone who does a million track days and learns many bad habits then tries to break those bad habits.

I've heard Ed Bargy say that a million times. :)

10. kerrycorcoran

Are you suggesting I should go to school prior to riding track days?

I realize track riding is different than street riding, not attempting to make a comparison; I should mention I have been riding bikes for over 30 years. I have basic skills down to second nature, now race skills I have not utilized yet. I guess I was thinking of hitting the track as much as possible then go to the schools - not a good plan?

Again, very open to ALL suggestions, just want to get the most out of this :D

Thanksm
    Kerry

11. GrecianFormula4

GrecianFormula4 Well-Known Member

Kerry,
    You have a lot of good options for trackdays in your region-
    MAM (Council Bluffs), MPH Hastings, Iowa Speedway, Brainerd
    More info-
    www.trackaddix.com
    As a first timer you'll be required to take a track orientation class. Hope this helps.

12. MarkClow

MarkClow Well-Known Member

Get a smaller bike like an SV650. 600 too fast for early novices. Riding a slower bike will help your corner speed.
    Do Ed Bargy.
    Do lots of trackdays.
    Race next year in lightweight.

13. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

What they said :up: . My first track days were educational track days where the instructor would teach us about aggressive riding techniques before we got out there. There were gradual increments in challenge from "No passing at all" to "Pass only on long straight and only on the right" to the next steps. I'd also learned some by reading up on the subject myself (Keith Code, et. al). I guess in retrospect this is far different from the more common open track days where they just turn a relatively new rider with a track prepped GSX750 loose.

I've seen some wicked crashes in the second type. People crash in the other type as well, but I don't think I've ever seen a really bad one.

14. kerrycorcoran

I am going to ride the GSXR 600 this year, I have already built so it'd just sit in the garage and I don't want have the funds laying around to buy another bke. I already have 4 in the garage and the girlfriend is ready to kill me :up:

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

The track is Mid America Motorplex located South of Council Bluffs, Iowa - 20 miles from downtown Omaha.

WWW.NESBA.com has track days there. You can hit up the site for more info.

16. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

As a new track rider (only 3 trackdays), I'd vote to do at least one trackday with a reputable trackday organization first, then consider going to the school. Most trackday orgs offer instruction to beginners to get them acclimated to the track.

My point is that I'd like to get that WOW factor of the first track experience out of the way before I was trying to really learn new things at a riders school.